Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Chainless Starting Stitches

2. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    @Jean Marie.

The above video, by Tuula Maaria, illustrates another method (which I use): if you are doing a DC project, all you have to do to attain a straight edge is to DC 2 together into the last stitch, then do a 2-chain turning chain instead of 3 like they always tell you. Works for me, anyway.

About her chainless method of doing HDCs, I find this too cumbersome. I find that with SCs and HDCs, a crooked edge is much less of an issue than with the longer stitches (DCs and TCs).

Looks like a Furl's hook the instructor is using in your video, Jean Marie. Must be nice to be rich...

4. Likes spoula, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of the ch 2 instead of ch 3 at the end of the row but I haven't heard of the dc2tog on the last stitch of the row before you ch2 and turn until I watched the video you posted.

6. Likes MeToo! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not use the 2 dc in the last stitch as I would forget and try to count the dc instead of the top stitch and it would throw off my stitch counts.
    Last edited by spoula; 09-01-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Mean to write 2nd dc not dc2tog

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    I would not use the dc2tog in the last chain as I would forget and try to count the dc instead of the top stitch and it would throw off my stitch counts.
    Not sure what you mean, Spou. You don't dec2tog in the last chain, but rather into the last DC from the previous row.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    Not sure what you mean, Spou. You don't dec2tog in the last chain, but rather into the last DC from the previous row.
    Hello MeToo, I didn't mean to write crochet 2dctog I meant to write what the video said by putting 2dc in the last stitch. That would mess me up as I would count that stitch and my row count would be off. She said that in the video to be careful not to count. I just wrote it wrong sorry for the confusion.