Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Found a good pattern for my heavy yarn

My original reason for buying this yarn (Bernat Blanket) (6) was to make the Basketweave Capelet. But it turned out to be a little too heavy. Then I found this pattern on page 68 in my From Needles to Hook: Complete Guide to Converting Knit Patterns to Crochet book. I finished it in a day and a half and it turned out cute. Not sure what I'll use it for since it's a little larger than my average handbag because I used a size "M" hook. It measures 19 inches at the lower edge, 14 inches high (w/o the straps) and 22 inches with the straps.

But it would make a nice shopping bag or maybe a travelling
    project bag

​Picture from the book: Found a good pattern for my heavy yarn-mitered-mini-bag-pic-jpg

My creation:
    Attached Images Attached Images Found a good pattern for my heavy yarn-mitered-mini-bag-jpg 

2. Likes karenlatlas, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So cute, you have a great bag there! I've been using Bernat Blanket yarn, too. I just finished up a large afghan throw for myself. Now I'm working on my second baby blanket using the same yarn. It's light blue and is turning out so nice and snuggly. I can't use a large hook like you do. I hold my hook like a pencil and have to use a smaller J size hook.

Great job!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    HI, very nice Victori

Post Thanks / Like
    Really cute &used the heavy yarn

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice job!! I like it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Victori1724 View Post
    My original reason for buying this yarn (Bernat Blanket) (6) was to make the Basketweave Capelet. But it turned out to be a little too heavy. Then I found this pattern on page 68 in my From Needles to Hook: Complete Guide to Converting Knit Patterns to Crochet book. I finished it in a day and a half and it turned out cute. Not sure what I'll use it for since it's a little larger than my average handbag because I used a size "M" hook. It measures 19 inches at the lower edge, 14 inches high (w/o the straps) and 22 inches with the straps.

But it would make a nice shopping bag or maybe a travelling
    project bag

​Picture from the book: Found a good pattern for my heavy yarn-mitered-mini-bag-pic-jpg

My creation:
    Nice bag, I bet that was fun to make! Maybe you can use it for shopping or something, perhaps like a tote to put small things in - carry a wallet and WIP in it wherever you go!?! I don't use a lot of chunky yarn, altho I love the feel of it's softness, and you can finish pieces so much faster and all, but the big hooks do make my hands, wrists & shoulders hurt so much more than normal.

I hold my hooks like a knife so I can do it but it's not very comfortable. I made a luscious shawl with LB Homespun but my entire arms & hands hurt an awful lot more than normal for about a week, on top of the pain I already have.... so I have to be so careful not to do damage that would prevent me from crocheting at all.

For that reason and more, I'd love to work more with #2 and #3 yarn, even tho it takes longer, the drape and softness is like nothing to compare and the clothing you can make feels like you're not wearing anything! I'd love to get some hand dyed yarn, not from the shelf kind of yarn, more like LYS yarn or online ordering, but at 22.00- 38.00 per skein on an average, no way!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan, Boy, can I relate to that. I was diagnosed with Thorasic Outlet Syndrome back in 2002 and had to give up everything for almost 3 years. I was in terrible pain all the time. I went to physical therapy and biofeedback to learn how to relax my neck and it was amazing. A person just doesn't realize how much stress they put on their neck and shoulders all the time. Now I have to force myself to stop every few hours and rest. But I love to crochet and probably will be like my Grandmother and crochet until I'm in my 90's and can't lift a crochet hook We had a yarn shop in town until about a year ago and it was beautiful stuff but like you say, $20-$30 a skein and way out of my league. The prices Michaels and JoAnns charges now a days is high enough for me. I get coupons every month and try to take advantage of their specials. Even though, Lord knows, I don't need more yarn. I am burying myself alive with all the yarn I've accumulated over the years. A few years ago I donated a bunch of my older yarns, patterns, knitting needles, crochet hooks and patterns to a local battered women's shelter, just to make room for more. I think that was back when the microfiber product came out and I went crazy making shawls and ponchos with that. Well, I got a request for another Mitered Mini-Bag only smaller than the 1st one. So I'm working on that now. Take care, Victoria