Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: Magic Knot Join

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Merci! J'ai essayé cette façon et je l'adore.
    Marolie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaErnestine View Post
    I really don't like knots in my work, whether it is thread or yarn. I can see them and feel them. I stopped using this method years ago. I'd rather tuck in ,or weave in all those little tails so that they don't come out especially on wearable items.
    Hi Nana Ernestine! I don't either but there are a couple of really unique ways to combine yarn ends to change colors, for when you run out and have to add on a new skein, etc.. that are called knots sometimes but they're not knots at all. They fuse together in the most interesting ways. If you get a chance to check the Russian join or other the knotless join, you'll be amazed at the better security for fastening off... I still weaving ends in tho anyway to! But we all have our favorite ways, don't we?!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 10-26-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    Hi Nana Ernestine! I don't either but there are a couple of really unique ways to combine yarn ends to change colors, for when you run out and have to ass on a new skein, etc.. that are called knots sometimes but they're not knots at all. They fuse together in the most interesting ways. If you get a chance to check the Russian join or the knotless join, you'll be amazed at the better security for fastening off... I still weaving ends in tho anyway to! But we all have our favorite ways, don't we?!
    Hi Susan,
    Check the 2nd line down on your post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjrichardson.pr@gmail.com View Post
    Is there a reason for joining the yarn with a knot rather than just joining as if you were changing colors by joining the yarn in the last part of the last stitche made? Is it because it makes a strong join or is it for neatness?
    ?
    I think it makes it stronger & makes you feel a little safer about the join, even tho some end weavers make darn sure their work will never ravel!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie, oooppps! Thx, I'm glad you caught that for me!! Nothing like a dirty typo, lol!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey SusansSoulShines-
    Yes, I have tried the real russian join, my grandma called it the "weavers trick" and I learned it from her. the video is pretty much the exact same way she did it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if I sound negative but where I come from this is a fisherman's knot meant to be used with rope. I don't put any kind of knot in my work but if I did I would definitely not cut the ends that short. When yarn, wool or acrylic, is washed it stretches and when it drys it pulls back on itself. I make heavy use items....afghans, shawls, kids clothes and hats the kind of items that get lots of washer and dryer time. I could never convince myself that knot would not come undone. If I am going to put that much work and love into any project I am going to secure my ends to hold a lifetime.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/