Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

You Can Crochet With Sheets!

2. Thanks dancingbaehr, Nova55 thanked for this post
    Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by radhia View Post
    This is interesting. My mom crocheted rugs from us kids' old Tshirts all the time. I have a big plastic crochet hook and didn't remember where I got it and you just solved it for me! It has to be the one Mom used for the rugs! It looks just like the one in the post. She was still making rugs even after I was grown and married. And I do not have one of her rugs! I don't know what happened to all of them. I think my next project is going to be a rug from sheets! Thanks!XXXXX! redhead/Patty

4. Thanks radhia thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought about making rugs from sheets but this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool idea I will have to try it

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to make one some day!! Looks like fun!!
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

I live in a medium size town in northern California, it is called Oroville.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is an amazing idea. Now I feel like kicking myself for all the old torn sheets I have thrown away. I have put a board on Pinterest about recycling clothing, and about turning trash into treasures. But never in a million years would I have thought about this idea. Thank you so much for sharing this. Now all I have to do is get a huge crochet hook and go to town crocheting. Thanks again. Regards, Kathy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmommy of 5 View Post
    This is an amazing idea. Now I feel like kicking myself for all the old torn sheets I have thrown away. I have put a board on Pinterest about recycling clothing, and about turning trash into treasures. But never in a million years would I have thought about this idea. Thank you so much for sharing this. Now all I have to do is get a huge crochet hook and go to town crocheting. Thanks again. Regards, Kathy
    I have a small roll of t-shirt yarn started, you can buy cheap ones at thrift stores to add to the roll quick tho since I was originally going to use old ones but I never seemed have enough of ours to add to that roll.

BUT, I have 2 humongous rolls of yarn I made from sheets, now if I can ever find time to work with either type! I only have 1 sheet on it so far I think but it's a LOT, and I have another to go! I saw a lady made some nice looking rugs with it on youtube, and I knew I had 2 fitted sheets that had bitten the dust WAY too soon after buying them. They're close in color to each other, so I'm going to make a rug for my BdRm since they match the comforter I bought them to go with.

I must say that sheets aren't made like they used to be!!! I advise never to buy microfiber sheets either - what trash! Within 2 months they were balled and pilled up, and looked and felt so awful to lie on that I was going to return them, they were a gift, but the store didn't take back defective items, lol, they said they only take back items they can still sell HAH, this store is Ross in case you have them near you - who ever heard of such a ridiculous thing, they can sell garbage but never take any back?! I told them I'd never spend a penny on there, my MIL had gotten them for us for Christmas and I thought oh good, I needed them and thought I'd have them for a while.... not to be.

Then I got another set that was what I thought was good material, not sure what they were but was 50.00 on sale at KMart. They lasted less than 2 yrs, at least the bottom fitted sheet. There became a joke in the family as to why our sheets were getting worn out so quickly, haha, I guess it's just the cheap cotton being imported tho. I just bought a 400 thread count Egyption cotton fitted sheet at the All About Fabric store, $5.00 (!!) and so far it's great.

I had about 4 or 5 top sheets so I was lucky enough to find a white one to match any of them. I'm going to get another when they get more in, you cannot beat that price for a high TC!I'll never pay high prices for this cheap stuff again. Makes me furious they charge so much for such junk, so I'm looking for bargains now, and it looks like I might have gotten lucky! I can hardly even find a single sheet in stores, they all come in sets, which people don't always need. Sorry, but $$ is too precious to buy junky cheap sheets, and I know the diff types since I did extensive searching on sheet types after getting burned by 2 diff materials!I was serious about needing GOOD sheets! This is good FYI:
    How to Choose Bed Sheets - Macy's
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 08-12-2015 at 06:34 PM.

10. Thanks dancingbaehr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    This is interesting. My mom crocheted rugs from us kids' old Tshirts all the time. I have a big plastic crochet hook and didn't remember where I got it and you just solved it for me! It has to be the one Mom used for the rugs! It looks just like the one in the post. She was still making rugs even after I was grown and married. And I do not have one of her rugs! I don't know what happened to all of them. I think my next project is going to be a rug from sheets! Thanks!XXXXX! redhead/Patty
    Hi Patti, T-shirts do make soft yarn, for sure, and the sheets are great for rugs too. I was thinking the t-shirt yarn might make be good for can or jar covers too. So, I've got 2 new yarn types now that were recycled... a lot of people use plastic bags to crochet yoga or shelter mats, I couldn't even tell it was plastic!

All of this crochet level advancing that I've been doing for a few months with taking classes online has been very time consuming but SO very interesting and helpful. I can't believe some of the little things that make such a big difference in making crochet work look better! The learning time is so worth it for me.

I did finally did finish a baby blanket for our new grandson, AND got back to work on a WIP cowl again.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 08-12-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember sitting on the floor playing with my doll and my mom at her singer sewing machine sewing strips of cloth together and she had a long metal crochet hook(I mean really long) and she was crocheting the strips into a rug. Good memories. Thanks.