Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

HELP! Stymied in Castro Valley

I'm a Newbie to Crochet Talk, but, an Oldie to crochet. I thought I could follow any crochet pattern (within reason) .... until now. I bought a Vintage 1970's dress pattern on Etsy and it's got me tearing my hair out with every line I read. I going to post an "all points" thread and hope someone can help me. I contacted the seller and (as I suspected) all they do is scan and sell patterns out of magazines that are out of print and know nothing about how to crochet, so that was a dead end. I feel like it can't possibly be so difficult. It looks line a simple Chevron Ripple pattern, but for the life of me, I can't get past the 3rd row. I think the problem is that, #1, unlike most (modern) patterns, it doesn't tell you how many stitches you are supposed to have at the end of each row, (and I can't figure it out myself), #2, the verbiage is foreign to me (assuming "angles" means "corners" and "group" means "cluster") to name a few, and #3, the gauge given is "10 groups of tr and 14 rows = 4 sq inches" but.... the pattern doesn't call for any "tr" treble stitches. Anyone out there feel like a challenge?

HELP! Stymied in Castro Valley-ripple-dress-picture-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you thought of contacting the Craft Yarn council or The Crochet Guild Of America on this? They try to keep the old going along with the new, and if anyone can help you with old standards and terminology, they can.

3. Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately I make only doilies
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Could the pattern be written in British terms?
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to take on this challenge. I would love to have the pattern. Have you already figured it out?? Let me know. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Susan. As a matter of fact I sent them basically the same request yesterday. Hope to hear back soon. Appreciate the help. Victoria

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I haven't figured it out. Is there an email address I can send it to? I tried to attach it yesterday, but it's too large. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sapphire, I'm thinking you are correct. Do you decipher "British terms"??

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't consider that unfortunate at all. It certainly is more talent than I have I've always envied those people that could create such delicate beauties. I'm afraid my arthritis keeps me from using any hooks smaller than "G". My Grandmother, who taught me to crochet when I was 10 or so, used to make doilies, tablecloths, arm covers for our "chesterfield" as they used to be called. I used to watch her for hours. She passed away at 91 and crocheted until the very end. And her arthritis was worse than mine. How I miss that gal. Keep up the good work, it makes you very special.

Post Thanks / Like