Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

I live at Hazard Health and Rehabilition Center Hazard KY.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Help with making crochet pattern smaller

HI I am trying to make a top hat using a ravelary pattern. The pattern is for a 6-12 mo and I need 3-6mo old
    I know that I decrease the hook size. My only question is should I go down 1 or 2 sizes? The reason I ask is it is a double strand pattern. I know that double strand patterns tend to run larger than single strand. This is why I question whether I should use a F or a G . Help much appreciated. Thanks blessings. Silentcrocheter

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Silentcrocheter, Susan2014 from Minnesota here. I dont do hats but: id ask are you a loose or tight hooker?? Id bet a F hook.
    byt its a guess. Do a patch and see, you sound like your prtty good ? Let me know what you find out. There are many gals here who will know , just give them time to see. Bye for now.

4. Thanks silentcrocheter thanked for this post

I live at Hazard Health and Rehabilition Center Hazard KY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much. I am a pretty medium crocheter as far as tightness goes. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. Will keep you posted on what works.

Blessings
    Silentcrocheter

6. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find a chart one hat sizes by the inch online you could use that to adjust. I know I have seen one but can't remember where. Best of luck.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Silentcrocheter, I have 1 chart & will get another. hope these help you. Creating Beautiful Things in Life: How to properly size crochet hats. Chart for correct sizing, including Magic Circle Sizes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=croc...ceb-11e2-a082-
    cb780a8f6396%252Fpost%252Fcrochet_hat_sizing_chart __%252F%3B400%3B230

How to Crochet a Hat
    Last edited by Susan2014; 03-18-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add on

Post Thanks / Like
    I make tons of hats! But I rarely use a pattern. Most of my hats are done with double strands. I use my own head as a guide. If the hat is snug, or a bit tight on me, then I know it will fit the average child's head. But not all children have an average head size. For babies or newborns I just eyeball it.

Keep in mind that yarn does not have a memory, unless you're using sock yarn, so once it is stretched out after the child has worn it for a short time, that is the true size.

What I would suggest is that you use a smaller hook and keep your stitching a bit snug. I might also suggest that you stick with the larger size because in 3 months the baby will have grown into it. Also, how old will the child be when hat season comes along?

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the hat sizing chart, Susan. Wish I had that 200 hats ago!