Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hi I'm Linda (Grammiesoap) I live in Maine

I would like to know the best way to add a row leaving 5" of yarn for a fringe on a afghan that is always started this way. Each row is cut leaving 5" of yarn and started over on the next row leaving 5" for fringe.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Linda ;o)
    Wow....the thing that struck my mind was to change colors or pretend you are changing colors. Actually, cut the thread, leaving a 5 inch tail, attach the thread again and crochet another row. Tie off, leaving another 5 inch tail and away you go. Does it have just one thread per row for the fringe?
    AND, welcome to CrochetTalk.....I've learned new stitches here and it tickles me pink.
    Key

Post Thanks / Like
    Just one color for fringe.When you start the next row I think I'm missing something because it looks like it will just pull out.
    This is what the pattern said "At the beginning of each row the chain is attached to the knot of the lower chain."Would you attach with a slip st.?I'm thinking there must be a good way to do this,that will hold and look good. This is the patten I'm going to do,Navajo Indian Diamond Pattern Afghan.
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Grammie

Post Thanks / Like
    Grammiesoap,

Welcome to the forums! It is great to have you as a new member! I look forward to hearing how your project turns out.

I think keylady50 is right, although I am not as knowledgable as some within the group! :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Linda,
    Having trouble visualizing this so I may not be any help. Are you talking about row after row of fringe? That would be pretty just not familar with it. I would probably go to the row of crochet that the 5" of fringe is tied into and join on there and add another row of crochet to use to tie the new fringe on. Putting fringe on has always just been a matter of tying a cut piece of yarn into the end pieces. Just seems like unless you crocheted 5 inches or more before putting the next layer of fringe on that it would b one solid piece of fringe. Am I not understanding this right?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not explaining myself very good.

Do not turn work. Leave a 4 inch end of yarn at beginning and end of rows for fringe. At the beginning of each row the chain is attached to the knot of the lower chain. ( left handers be sure to make a right-handed knot) Start with black for the border. chain 205 for the 60x48 afghan 285 for the 72x52. cut yarn. DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE A 4" END FOR FRINGE!!

These are the instructions I'm reading,just not happy with the way that it states to attach the beginning. Hoping someone has a better idea.
    Thanks for all the replys..

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, okay, I've got the picture now but not a better solution.

So you basically have to cut the thread on each row and start again, leaving an end for the fringe at the beginning and leaving a fringe at the end, tie back onto the beginning knot of the row before it. Hmmm. Sorry, don't know how else you would do it so not much help. ;-(