Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: yarn storage

Post Thanks / Like

yarn storage

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I just retired from teaching so now have had time to crochet. I find my stash of yarn is growing with leftovers and sale items. I'm looking for a good way to store and organize them. I don't have closet space but do have room for a cabinet, or shelves. Does anyone have suggestions? What works for you? Is it OK to store enclosed in plastic drawers or does this make the yarn smell of plastic? Thanks

2. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome! I have 3 pantry units and stacked plastic totes. Probably your plastic drawers would be fine. See what others have to say.

4. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have plastic drawers and totes and it stores just fine.

6. Likes janie mae liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome! I have totes and drawers to store my yarn!

8. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Deb! welcome to the forums!

10. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm lucky to have a closet and I have used boxes to divide the colors and bookcases to hold the rest. I have to get hold of myself and stop buying more yarn. Yet here I sit planning a shopping trip tomorrow for more yarn but I really need more, really!! Did that sound believable? lol

12. Likes janie mae, GrammaJoe liked this post

Jacksonville, Florida, but hate it. BAMA native
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I have mine a little of everywhere. What I bought yesterday is still in the bags in my "craft" room.
    I have some in plastic tubs, some in dresser drawers. I know this sounds very unorganized, but I know where everything is.
    My husband couldn't find a thing in that room & that's the way I like it! That way if I have spent more than he would like on my yarn "habit", he can't tell the old from the new. LOL Poor man! I don't question his spending on his hobbies & he shouldn't question mine. I found out early in our marriage that he doesn't see it that way. I've just learned to keep the fuss down this way.

14. Likes Anaisa, Colesmom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Faye,
    You really need it. You might not have just the right color, or be short just one skein to do a project you've really wanted to try. So you have to get enough. Then when you get there, you see yarn for another project you have been wanting to try. Next thing you know, you are leaving the store with 2-3 of their largest bags packed with yarn. That's how it happened to me yesterday. We will not even talk about how much money I spent,& the yarn was all on sale! Faye, sweetie, I wish you luck tomorrow. Don't get carried away like I did. It is hard to have self control when you think of all the things you could make & do with that yarn when you are standing there lookikg at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    So true! janie mae but I don't have the money to spend on a lot so I'll be leaving with a small bag but it will be nice to get what I want. Going to town is a big thing since the surgery. Kaye hasn't let me do much so I'm glad to get out on my own. I sound like a teenager getting the keys to the car. lol

17. Likes janie mae liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh, you sound like me. I haven't driven in over 6 years,(my choice). Between the pain it causes me to turn my neck & the pain it causes me to hold the steering wheel, it's just not worth it. Then there's the medication I'm on. If there were an accident, I would likely be charged with Driving Under the Influence. I keep my drivers license, my tag, & my insurance up to date, in the event I ever stop taking the medication & the pain is less so that I can drive. Or simply if I decide I want drive. Not driving has been my choice, but it is certainly hard for me. My independence is gone. I hate that. My mom occasionally has to take me for dr appointments & bless her heart, she makes me late every time. I now lie to her & tell her the appointment is 30-45 minutes earlier than it is. This is how I can be on time.