Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A newcomer

Post Thanks / Like

A newcomer

Hello everyone! My name is Janie and I am from Massachusetts. I was really excited to find this group because I enjoy knitting and crocheting, but sometimes need help following patterns.
    I have taught myself knitting and crochet and can follow most basic stitches, but I have difficulty following patterns for some reason. I can make scarves and afghans (where the exact size isn't important,) but anything else I have tried,I get half way through and than get stuck on something in the pattern and can't figure it out which results in lots of unfinished, discarded projects. None of my friends knit or crochet and the one group I joined were so advanced, I felt a bit intimidated and didn't return. I gave it up for awhile because I was so discouraged.
    However, I enjoy knitting and crocheting so much that I am determined to try again. I think if I just had someone I could ask questions re patterns, I may be able to get past this "pattern block" and move on to other projects.
    I do not have children of my own, but enjoy making baby projects. I've made a few blankets, hats and the booties, but that is my limit. I would love to be able to make a little set for my friend who is due in a couple of months. That is my goal at least.
    Do you think this forum would work for me? I'd love the opportunity to learn from all of you.
    Thank You,
    Janie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janie!

I certainly do think this forum will work for you, it works for me and I have the same problem, lol! But in my case it's because I'm too hardheaded to pay attention to things like gauge and using the same yarn, etc. Learning to read patterns do take some getting used to and being very methodical about doing one stitch at a time and not letting the whole picture confuse you--just take it one stitch at a time.

But yeah, sometime they don't make sense so since we have a bunch of more experienced crocheters on here than me, I'm sure they'll be someone who will be glad to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie,

Welcome to the group! This forum has been a great inspiration for me. I have picked up doing crocheting again. I am working on some smaller projects to get my thoughts back and practice to build my confidence back up. We have alot of members and new one joining every day!

We are truly glad to have you as a member and encourage you to keep pressing in! You can do it!