Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Washington State!

Hi everyone! I'm new to crochet. I've made a few basic things over the years like scarves, etc., but recently have started making doilies. My daughter is getting married in October, and she wants doilies. I never thought I'd fall in love with them, but I have...they're rather addictive!

All in all, I'm a serial crafter. I love anything to do with fabrics and fibers. I knit (again, basic stuff...relative newbie), quilt, sew, and love to build costumes for dancers, especially professional tutus. I also love playing with beads, sequins, and rhinestones.

Here's my big project right now. We need to make 75 of these...I've enlisted the help of my daughter's future sister in law. I don't know if we'll get them all done, but we sure will try! It's 'Small Doily in Cream Color' from Ravelry.

Greetings from Washington State!-wedding-favor-doily-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! Wonderful work and we hope to hear of you making your goal!

3. Likes JennKinney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jenn,
    Welcome. How long does it take to make 1 doily? and how many can you get done in one week? How many do you have made so far?
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 07-28-2019 at 10:57 AM.

5. Likes JennKinney liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of those takes about 3 hours, so have been making two every three days (I'm also sewing the gown and watching my granddaughter!). My daughter's future sister-in-law is also helping with these, and she's cranking out three every two days. We'll get there. So far we've made 25.
    Jenn of all trades, Master of some
    Doily count as of 8/16/19:
    Centerpieces: 16:20
    Favors: 75:75

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jenn,
    From what you said I figured between the two of you, you could make 25 by the end of August and 20 by the end of September - that's if you make 5 a week between the 2 of you. You already have 25 done and I figure that you can have 45 more by the end of September - that's adding the 25 by the end of August plus the 20 by the end of September. 45 plus 25 is 70. I don't know when the wedding is in October but you would only have 5 more to make between the two of you that means you both could probably get 5 done in one week.

Are you making the gown yourself? I know it takes time to watch your granddaughter too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wedding is October 19, so we've got some time! I think I have a third person to help now, too...she'll likely get 2-3 done per week until the wedding. Not a lot, but it helps! Yep, making the gown, and pretty much designing it, also. It'll take about 3 weeks. About 5 days to draft and fit the pattern and muslin, 3 days to build it and the rest of the time for embellishments.
    My daughter is really tiny (5', 87lbs.), and she couldn't find anything she really liked in our budget that wouldn't cost at least $800 in alterations alone. At least this way she gets exactly what she wants and it'll be proportionally pleasing.
    Jenn of all trades, Master of some
    Doily count as of 8/16/19:
    Centerpieces: 16:20
    Favors: 75:75

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet filet items. I love doilies also!!!
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jenn,
    Welcome to the forum. Sending you some courage your way to help you with your projects. It is not easy to do anything when you have children around that want all the attention. I hope you make it with some help. Your daughter will cherish the dress you are making for her and all of the doiles.

Good luck,
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 07-29-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Left off the n in her name sorry

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Washington State

Hello from the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
    Im looking forward to visiting with all of you.
    I have picked up my knitting needles again after a long
    time away and enjoying getting started again.