Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Post Thanks / Like

Confused over pattern stitches!

Hi, I'm Karen hate knitting but really getting it together with my crochet! Just really confused by a baby pattern I have just bought. It consists of both dbl tr (double treble) and tr (treble stitches) From what I can make out on the internet these stitches are the same! Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong?! The motif I have crocheted using treble crochet has come out much too big! Help, I'm not that experienced! I'm sure there must be a simple explanation - I'm just not getting it!!

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Post Thanks / Like

treble crochet in US terms/double treble in UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kar. (DBL) Is a double trebble stitch you will wrap the yarn over your hook 3 times. A regular trebble stitch you wrap the yarn over your hook only twice.
    Below is a link that shows you how to do it.

https://www.wikihow.com/Double-Treble-Crochet-(DTR)

Hope this helps,
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 07-24-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,

This sounds so simple now, just saying it's 3 times yarn over! The videos are still confusing because they show the two different stitches with the same name! this is what I have found on youtube as well, which only added to my dilemma. Confusion between USA and UK terminology doesn't help either! Would you recommend me using a smaller hook ie: 3.5mm rather than a 4.5mm as the motif I have made is much too big. Thank you very much for the simple explanation. Very helpful. x

5. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Karen, Your hook size would depend on the yarn you are using and what you are making. For example a larger hook (4.5) with #4 worsted weight yarn would give you a very soft baby blanket. If you are making detailed motifs you may want to use the 3.5 but again it would depend on the yarn you are using. For a 3.5 (is an E/4 US terms) hook you could use cotton thread or fingerling yarn or size 2 or 3 yarn size. On your yarn package it will give a suggested size hook and your pattern usually gives the suggested yarn and hook size. Also tension is important you mentioned your motif was too big it could be that you are crocheting to loose that can make the stitches larger.
    If you would like to share your pattern or the information that shows what you are making I am sure myself or others on this forum can help you.
    Let me know if I can help you further.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Karen,
    Take a look at this US and UK stitches side by side I think this will help you. One time I was making a pattern where the stitches were in UK terms. I had to mark the pattern with the difference because when I saw Double Crochet I should have been using the single crochet instead.
    Spoula

US and UK stitches.pdf

8. Likes MeToo! liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much Spoula, I will try your suggestions and see if I can get the sizing right. Karen

10. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Spoula, very useful x

12. Likes spoula liked this post