Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: newbie

Post Thanks / Like

One week of practice under my belt. Trying to build a scarf for a friend as a surprise for christmas. or her birthday. probably christmas.
    Single dad
    widower
    work at home. I wanted to learn something new and have a hobbie when i was hanging out at home after kiddo goes to bed. Figured watching tv and sitting by the fire and meditating with some yarn wasn't a bad idea!

2. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello deadlift, Welcome to the forum. If you run into a problem there are lots of ladies and gentlemen on this forum that can guide you through your issue.

Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 12-04-2018 at 07:35 AM.

4. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you! tried to open a thread in main but seems like it's waiting adin approval?
    I'm going to attempt it again tonight and if (when i fail) i'll post a question here maybe. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    Welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hello deadlift, Welcome to the forum. If you run into a problem there are lots of ladies and gentlemen on this forum that can guide you through your issue.

Spoula
    Ok I muddled through this. and it looks slapdash and uneven. Question: when it says sl st to first hdc, if I I'm 5 stitches away from the 'first hdc' do i sl st into each stitch on the way to the hdc, or do i just skip all of those? I ended up with a hole in the back of the planter pattern. whoops. Or should i not have gaps? I think i counted correctly. I ended up using markers on my first and last stitch on each row to double check. I'm terrible at counting. I assume the 2, and 3hdc instructions should end up on the planter edges? This scarf is going to look like a mess when I'm done. Thanks!

Grab your planter yarn & 5mm hook. Chain 12.
    R1: turn ch 1. sc into 1st 11 ch, 3sc into 12th ch. Without turning, continue going around the other side of the chain. sc into the next 10 ch, 2sc into the last. Sl sl into your first sc. (26)
    Now you'll work in the round.
    R2: ch 1, hdc into sl st (chl doesn't count as st), hdc into next 11 st, 2hdc into next, hdc x 12, 2hdc. Si st to first hdc. (28) (should be about 3.5 inches wide)
    R3: ch 1, hdc into sl st (chl doesn't count as st), hdc into next 12 st, 2hdc into next, hdc x 13, 2hdc. Si st to first hdc. (30) R4: ch 1, hdc into sl st (chl doesn't count as st), hdc into each st, sl st to first hdc. (30)

Here's what it should look like.. Mine. is not where close to that .. i'm only 10 rows into the cactus and it looks... jagged... Oh well first time i can't be too hard on myself

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5380314...tern-flowering

Post Thanks / Like
    what row are you on? what is Si on row 2 and row 3? Is it supposed to be ss or sc?