Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

New to crochet, need help with pattern please :)

Hello! I am excited to be part of this forum as I love crochet. I have made one blanket, the Bernat Hibernate blanket, but I don't know how to read crochet patterns.

I want to make the Bernat Here and There crochet blanket.

Can anyone tell me what types of stitches are used for this blanket? I want to look up a youtube video on how to do each stitch, but I don't know what they're called. I believe one of these stitches is called "half double crochet in the third loop." Im not sure what the vertical piping stitch is. I will include a link to the blanket on Yarnspiration. It has a downloadable pattern.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer! Thank you so much!

https://www.yarnspirations.com/berna...2-001836V.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello nicole81, I will try to help you if I can. The stitches used in this pattern is the Double crochet Front Post and Double Crochet Back Post. If you are a beginner these stitches are a little tricky at first.
    You start off by making a chain of 95.
    Row 1: (RS). You will make 1 dc in 4th chain from the hook (counts as 2 dc). 1 dc in each chain to end of chain you will have 93 Double Crochets at the end of this first row. Turn your work to start Row 2.

Row 2: Ch 2. *1 dcfp (Double crochet Front Post )around next stitch. 1 dcbp (Double Crochet Back Post) around next stitch. Rep from * to last 2 stitches. 1 dcfp (Double Crochet Front Post) around next stitch. 1 hdc (Half Double Crochet)in last stitch. Turn.
    Your pattern gives you the abbreviations for the stitches and instructions on how to do the dcfp and dcbp.

If you need to see it here is a video on how to do these two stitches.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nicole81,
    Welcome. Where in the pattern did you see the vertical piping stitch? I don't see where it says to hdc in 3rd loop either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,

She wrote half double crochet in the third loop. I think the pattern said hdc in the 3rd chain from hook.
    She said " I'm not sure what the vertical piping stitch is" I believe these are the Front and back post dc.
    Spoula

5. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for clearing that up Spoula.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula! WOW! Thanks to your explanation and the video link you provided I figured it out! I am already 6 rows into my blanket now. I couldn't have done it without you!! I appreciate your help so much

8. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nicole81, So glad it helped you and that you are already able to start your blanket.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, It is usually me thanking you. We make a good team.

How is your dress coming? Did my answer help you. Seems like those bands were like those plackets we did awhile back.
    Remember I don't like those and I did my dress different then you did yours.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    I just sent you a private message. I told you in the message what the pattern says and what I did. Still not sure if it's right. When I first overlapped the bands I did a dc in the front or left band and the ss in the back or right band and then did a dc in front and ss in back and a dc in fron and ss in back but then I went on to the next part (round 1) but couldn't figure it out so I thought maybe the other part was wrong so took it out and ss in the ch st but that didn't work cause I would be skipping the first dc so I did the ss in the dc.
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jean Marie, I just got your PM. I will respond to you in a PM but for now I truly believe you are doing it right.

Go from left to right in each of the 3 dc on each side of the bands.
    You will be working from left to right each time (like a zig zag). Starting
    on the left then go to the right then back to the left until you have closed the gap with the 3 dc on each side.

Hope this helps,
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 11-30-2018 at 08:02 AM.