Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: New Here!

Post Thanks / Like

New Here!

Hi, I found this site while cruising the internet. I have been crocheting for years. Lol, I actually started out with knitting because I could not get the hang of crocheting. I am left handed so it was a little more difficult for me. I started to knit, loved it! But I remember as a little girl sitting watching my grandmother crochet and that is what I wanted to do. So after knitting a number of years, I decided to try my hand at crocheting. Now I love doing both!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! Nice to have you here with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello mjw232, Welcome to the forum. I learned to crochet first and wanted to learn how to knit. I watched you tube videos to learn. What was so difficult for me is that I am right handed and all the videos show the person knitting using their right hand to move the yarn to the left needle. I use my left hand to move the yarn like I would in crochet. Not to long ago I saw on the Internet this is called continental and using the right hand is called throwing the yarn in knitting. When you knitted did you use your right hand to move the thread? If so I bet it was difficult to start to crochet. I am glad you learned both and are enjoying the craft.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi mjw232.
    Welcome. I learned to crochet first. Is it more comfortable for you to knit than it is to crochet because you learned to knit first?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hello mjw232, Welcome to the forum. I learned to crochet first and wanted to learn how to knit. I watched you tube videos to learn. What was so difficult for me is that I am right handed and all the videos show the person knitting using their right hand to move the yarn to the left needle. I use my left hand to move the yarn like I would in crochet. Not to long ago I saw on the Internet this is called continental and using the right hand is called throwing the yarn in knitting. When you knitted did you use your right hand to move the thread? If so I bet it was difficult to start to crochet. I am glad you learned both and are enjoying the craft.
    Spoula
    Hi Spoula,
    I, too, am right handed. In order to knit faster I taught myself to wrap the yarn around the knitting needled with my left hand, so when I knit I try different ways to wrap the yarn around to try and find a way that is more comfortable for my hands.

I either wrap the yarn with my right hand or my left hand or hold the yarn with my left hand like in crocheting and pick up the yarn with the needle but I think I like it best to wrap the yarn around with my left hand. Although I've found out that if you want the knitting needle to slide against the other knitting needle when knitting you have to wrap the yarn around with your right hand and in order for the knitting needles to slide someone had said that it takes a little bit for it to get started (for the needles to slide). I've tried pulling the yarn tight to try to get the needles to slide but haven't been able to get the needles to slide. So I guess the best way to knit is the way that's more comfortable for me but when I get tired of wrapping the yarn one way I'll wrap the yarn another way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do use my right hand to hold my yarn, it is just a natural feeling for my and I crochet left handed so I continue to hold the yarn in my right hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, After watching you tube videos I made my first knit sweater for my baby grandson I knitted very tight to keep the yarn on the needle. I have since learned to knit looser and keep the yarn on the needle. I like to hold the yarn in my left hand like I do with crochet since I am right handed. It took me awhile to adjust the tension. I have the same problem with crochet. One thing I did learn in knitting if you hold the yarn in your left hand you do all your yarn overs the same way. If you hold the yarn in your right hand and do the throwing method you must do all your yarn overs depending on the next stitch being a purl or a knit there are different ways to do it. Wrap counter clockwise twice for some of the stitches. To many rules in knitting.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet filet items
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello there I’m am Leoj I’m from the uk I have crochet for couple of years. I started with knitting at school then learned crochet from my mother because she had a half done blanket. At first I made phone cases but I have gave them to friends and family . But recently I have made cardigans hats, table runners,jumper even scarf they all in the storage .this is within the 3years I’ve learnt a lot but don’t know what to do with then next is awesome there’s a sit form what chats about crochet I love it I am very friendly friends say I’m something to friendly I am27 too

10. Likes kl1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן