Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Dream angel - Hungarian pattern

Hello,

I have been meaning to learn to crochet for a long time, especially after getting back into knitting and gaining some confidence trying out lots of different stitches and patterns. I have a few guide books and crochet hooks but I haven't done much yet. However I have one strong ambition or dream I wish to accomplish through crochet.

I am determined to learn, in particular to make an angel ornament like the one I hang on our Christmas tree every year. I was given it by a student in a school I worked in a few years ago. Her grandmother in Hungary knitted one for all her teachers. I absolutely adore it and this year I am starting out on my mission to make my own. One day I would love to give them to my childrens' teachers as gifts.

I have actually identified a guide to making the angel online. However, it's in Hungarian and I don't speak any Hungarian. I have tried with Google translate which has told me the needle and thread used, as well as how to make the head (I haven't tried yet but I'm hoping it will make sense once I start looking up the technique on youtube). The rest of the pattern is the tricky bit and it is all handwritten in Hungarian. There are drawings with it but I am e.g. to understand all of that.

Can anybody understand it or give me and clues to accomplishing my little Dream? There are guides online and YouTube to make other angels but my heart is set on this one!

Here is the blog post; I have checked the rules and I think (and hope) it's ok to post a link:

Fonalvarázs: 3D-s angyalka leírása

All the best from Ireland. Ps I don't mind if you think I'm crazy to be looking at this project so early on in my crocheting career!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! Nice to have you here with us!

Link to post for others to view: Fonalvarázs:]Fonalvarázs: 3D-s angyalka leírása 3D-s angyalka leírása

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Barbara for posting the link properly. I will also try to post a photo of the angel I have.

I have decided to try each skill for this project out first with a larger hook and yarn; as I'm sure it's silly for a beginner to try with a very small hook and thin thread at first. Once I'm confident with the bigger size I can try the smaller one. I have a size 4mm hook and double knitting yarn (Sirdar Snuggly). The size I think I need for the angel is .6mm hook and I'm not sure of the lingo of the thread but it's the 3rd finest crochet thread and called #60 in some countries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and Welcome. I looked at the angel that was posted and it looks like you have to use a spray starch on the crocheted angel after it's done.

This is pretty too but not in English https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/485685141044470086/

close but not the same Small Angel

not quite https://www.crochetpatterncentral.co...oras_angel.php

this is on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4616...campaign=Share

I selected language on the side Fonalvarázs: 3D-s angyalka leírása

I tried zooming in on the charts but can't make it out.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 12-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.

5. Likes karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is pretty too but not in English https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/485685141044470086/
    I really like this wreath Jean Marie, might try copying it.
    Thanks
    Karen

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi again everyone. Thank you for your responses and insights.

In the end I followed my beginners crochet book to learn the basic stitches and similar patterns to the ones I could see in my angel. Then I used the new skills/pictures in my book to figure out how the original angel was made. I basically copied it line by line.

I had also been given a few brilliant hints when I went to buy yarn and a hook. The lady had a look at my angel and advised me I didn't need as small a hook as the Hungarian blog pattern. In the end I used a 1.75mm hook. She also told me the top half is just a circle folded over. That helped a lot with figuring out how to make it. I made the body and skirt in one piece and the head and string separately.

I am very happy with the results, although the head is way too big and not half as neat as I would like. I thought the head would be the easiest part but I really messed it up.

Now I need to choose a starch method to use. Do you know: can any of the starch methods double as a bleach? I am between cornstarch and sugar at the moment. I hope I can figure out how to post a picture.

Edited to add: how do I add a picture? I can't see a paper clip/attachment option in the advanced options. Will it appear after I've been a member for a while?
    Last edited by melearningtocrochet; 12-28-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Can't find photo option

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi melearningtocrochet,
    On the 'go advanced' page above where you can post a message on the top row just below where you put the Title of your message are capital A's, paste, font, size, another capital A, a smiley face, a paper clip and some arrows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jean Marie. For Me, the top row only has Font, Size, a tick box, a smiley face and backwards and forwards arrows.

Thank you for posting the different angel ideas. The Pinterest links just bring me to page after page of many different pictures. I'm not sure if that's what you intended.

I think I'll try the sugar starching method, fingers crossed I don't ruin it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by melearningtocrochet View Post
    Thanks Jean Marie. For Me, the top row only has Font, Size, a tick box, a smiley face and backwards and forwards arrows.

Thank you for posting the different angel ideas. The Pinterest links just bring me to page after page of many different pictures. I'm not sure if that's what you intended.

I think I'll try the sugar starching method, fingers crossed I don't ruin it!
    Hi melearningto crochet,
    What is a tick box? Good luck on starching.

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet thread Angels

[ATTACH]18758
    these are the angels I have made with the trim sections in the appropriate birthstone colors. I did do some in ecru and some with an opalessence.
    Attached Images Attached Images Dream angel - Hungarian pattern-img_20170422_152511074-jpg Dream angel - Hungarian pattern-1-img_20170422_152511074-jpg