Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie. Have never ever crochet. HELP please

Hi everyone!! I am totally new to crocheting. I was in a car accident which left me disabled. I have always wanted to learn to crochet so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. I have so many questions. First of all, how do I know which needles I need to buy? What yarn to use? As you can see, I have a lot to learn. Any help and advise would be truly appreciated. Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi dfordmotherof2,
    Welcome. I would buy a crochet hook that is is one hook, not where the handle can come off like the wooden handled ones. I would get a crochet hook that is wider or thicker. One that you can grasp in your hand. The thicker it is the easier it will be to grasp in your hand. I wouldn't worry about what size hook to get. It doesn't really matter unless you want to follow a pattern. I would just get a hook and 4 ply yarn is probably the easiest to work with. I use mostly 4 ply yarn. Get whatever color or colors you want to and look on you tube on how to do the stitches or I think Barbara G.(the moderator) has some beginner videos.

You can Google a beginners crochet pattern and decide to make something and they'll tell you what size hook to use and you'll get better as you go along or you can just practice the stitches. And there are places on the computer that show you how to hold your hook.

something that might help you: single crochet: yarn through 2 loops
    double crochet: yarn through 2 loops twice triple crochet: yarn through 2 loops 3 times.
    Jean Marie

You may want to get 2-4 skeins of yarn to make sure you have enough yarn for your project or more yarn if you're crocheting a blanket. Get all the yarn you need at the same time so you have the same dye lot to finish your project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the world of crocheting ��

I have a nice set of Boye medal crochet hooks that comes in a nice faux leather case.

I have found that I really love Clover bamboo handle needle hooks because it is easier to hold and they don't hurt my hands. I have gotten to where I buy mine separately. I buy my bamboo hooks at JoAnn's. I downloaded their app along with Michaels and Hobby Lobby's. When I am at JoAnn's I take advantage of their coupons along with the other stores coupons and use them on the same trip. You can use each coupon on one regular priced item. Say I bought three hooks, then I would use one coupon for each hook. I always save 40%-60% off each one.

My suggestion would to be to buy a set starting out. As a beginner I suggest size F - K
    Hooks. They are easier to use as a beginner.

You need to start with a simple pattern that only has you doing single, double and triple crocheting.

The best place I have found is YouTube. It has helped me out a lot. It's really easy to get confused with so many different ways to crochet and the multitude of different stitches.

Just take your time learning to make a chain and Then to single crochet. Once you have mastered that then you will be able to move on to bigger and better things

As far as yarn goes I would just start off with an inexpensive yarn to practice with. Buy a bright color so you can see your stitches easier.

I would make a practice pieces of each stitch example would be to chain 30-40 and then practice say the single crochet and then I would do the same with the double and triple crocheting.

The more you practice then it will come easy when you start using your pattern of choice.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. ��
    Last edited by Tangles64; 08-02-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet filet items
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! Nice to have you here with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a set of Clover wooden handle hooks and have never had any problems with them. I have been using them for over a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles64 View Post
    I own a set of Clover wooden handle hooks and have never had any problems with them. I have been using them for over a year.
    Hi Tangle64,
    I had bought a 'N' size crochet hook with a wooden handle and used it a lot. Over time, the handle loosened up and wouldn't even stay on with tape so I ended up buying another one without a wooden handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the wonderful world of crochet!

Post Thanks / Like

Mom to all

Hello newbie, I'm also new to this forum. I have been crocheting many years. I taught myself from a book. If I can help you in any way please do not hesitate to ask. Looking forward to talking with you in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend to begin crocheting a size F through G hook. They are the most commonly used hooks in most projects. They fit your hand well and are easy to handle. As for yarn its best to start out with a 4 ply yarn. Its a standard size that most yarns come in. For beginning projects I would suggest something very simple like wash cloths or even an afghan made out of a pattern called MILE A MINUTE. This type of pattern you make in strips then sew the strips together. Or even easier would be a GRANNY SQUARE afghan. You can make these in squares or 1 big square by just continuing the square.
    Good luck on your adventure of crocheting and have a very enjoyable and relaxing hobby.