Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question New and need help.

I am between a beginner and intermediate crocheter and need some help decoding some directions.

I get to a point in some edging directions and then don't know what I need to do over, again or instead of....

Here are the directions.

Edging: Row 1: Ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, [ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) all in next dc, * ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next sc; rep from * 9 times more, ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc], ch 1, sc in next dc, ch 2, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in center ch-3 sp, ch 2, sc in next dc, ch 1, sc in next dc, rep between [ ]’s once more, ch 1, skip 1 dc, dc in last dc. Turn.

This is from Halstead Shawl pattern by Berroco.

I get the first line right, then am confused by the introduction of the brackets. I understand the parentheticals but am not sure how the brackets enter in and what I am repeating within them.

Post Thanks / Like
    After you do the first stitches then the do exactly what the pattern dates: [ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) all in next dc, * ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next sc; rep from * 9 times more, then ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc] then ch 1, sc in next dc, ch 2, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in center ch-3 sp, ch 2, sc in next dc, ch 1, sc in next dc

After you do this then go back and work exactly the same pattern: [ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) all in next dc, * ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 2, skip 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) all in next sc; rep from * 9 times more, ch 2, skip 3 dc, sc in next dc] One more time then you will : ch 1, skip 1 dc, dc in last dc. Turn

The Astrix's mean repeat the pattern in between them. The brackets are just showing you that you don't repeat the stitches before the brackets.

Hope this helps ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I will surely try it and see if it is clearer to me and let you know.
    Thanks for responding!
    J

Post Thanks / Like
    I have another question. On line 4 following the bracket, it says to put a dc in the next sc, but there doesn't appear to be a sc to put a dc into. Am I misreading this? (Very likely but I can't figure out if it's a typo or a ''user" error.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't understand or are having trouble with a section just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    It may just be a typo meaning the next dc but I'm so new I'm reading very literally.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to see the last row worked before the you started the edge. This will help me to understand more of the edging.

Post Thanks / Like
    There may be a typo but I won't know until I see the row before the edging.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the pattern I see that you are right. There aren't any single crochet in the the last row. It's a typo, so just work the double crochets as you do the first row of edging.

Here is a video helping you understand the edging.

How-To: Crochet Stitches in Halstead's Edging | Berroco

Let me know if this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug75 View Post
    I have another question. On line 4 following the bracket, it says to put a dc in the next sc, but there doesn't appear to be a sc to put a dc into. Am I misreading this? (Very likely but I can't figure out if it's a typo or a ''user" error.
    On top of page you posted on line 4 of the edging you said that the directions are to put a sc in next dc