Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

Hello. I'm new and am the type of crocheter that likes repetition. It makes it easier to watch movies as I wor

I've got a question: I made two hats with a "fake" ribbing look and both backfired. They looked nice when I finished and mailed them to my son and daughter-in-law, but when they wore them after a few times, the hats stretched so much that they were too big. I'm new to crochet, and I followed a pattern on YouTube - here:

I believe the pattern was the culprit since it was a "ribbed" look, but the ribbing did not hold together and the "ribs" spread apart when used? Anyway, my son put his hat on when I visited and he was trying to make me feel good, but he looked like a plant that needed watering. Did I do something wrong? Or is this not a good pattern? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by drainbamage; 05-29-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Forum. I crochet filet items
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and Welcome to ct drainbamage. Did you use a yarn that falls apart?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jean Marie - No, it was Michael's "Loops N Threads - Impeccable" yarn. It's a good, sturdy yarn with not too much flex. Very easy to crochet with as it does not split or worm or anything like that. I made two hats, and the same thing happened to both of them. I made a third hat (in the beginning of May) much smaller to give it time to stretch and it did stretch quite a bit, but it fits my husband just right, now that it has stretched. I was just wondering if I can fix the first two hats because they are so large that I don't think they will fit any human head that I know of

Edited to add: Probably it's time to unravel the first hats and re-use the yarn, most likely. My son gave the two hats I gave him back so I could "fix" them.
    Last edited by drainbamage; 05-30-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is to maybe crochet them with a smaller hook. Some stitches will be more like what you are describing as compared to using single crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome from Pa. Nice to have you with us. Your hat looks very nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe use the unraveled yarn to try a new hat pattern. There are so many free ones available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the group. Your hat looks very nice.