Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Crochet ahoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet ahoy!

Hey there crazy crochet people!

My name is Lena, I am 29 years old and live in a small German town near the French border.
    I love to crochet and to listen to podcasts and audio books while doing it. When I’d had to choose one thing to do for the rest of my life it would be this
    Some months ago I developed the wish to connect and to publish about crochet without any exact idea of how I’d like to do this. So I thought it was a good idea to become part of a crochet community as my first strike.

When it comes to crochet I’m a self-taught person. This is about 8 years ago. Since then I crocheted a lot but the most of it doesn’t exist anymore. This is not because of a big flute or a burned house or some other unpleasant catastrophe It is because of my strange habit to unstitch my work almost all the time because it is not like I wanted it to be or I didn’t like it at all.

So I decided to just go on crochet patterns I like with yarns I like without any special purpose.
    And this works well.

At the moment I’m thinking about having my own blog where I show and explain crochet patterns to other people. I know there are a lot of these but I just want to try it.

Sorry for my strange (bad…) English.

XXX
    Lena

2. Likes AudreyL liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Lena!

Welcome to the Forums. You'll like it here, I'm sure. Your English is neither strange nor bad. I've been crocheting for over 40 years. Longer than you've been on this planet. Initially my mother taught me to crochet granny squares. I had a hard time picking it up because she was right handed and I'm left handed. She had an idea of putting a mirror in front of where she was working and I looked at the mirror instead of mom. That did the trick, but I spent a long time inserting the hook from the back instead of the front. Which didn't matter much on a granny square, but with other stitches or patterns you need to be doing things correctly.

I'm pretty much self taught because there was no You Tube when I was learning. I am taking advantage of it now. I'm working a basket weave pattern now and I'm very excited. SEE!! You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Enjoy, Donna

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lena,
    Welcome to ct. I didn't think it was bad English either. My Grandma taught me to crochet and a while back I crocheted with plarn cause they did that at out church and I had asked someone about where to start on a row cause I wanted to make sure I was doing it right and I probably was doing it right but wanted to know that I was doing it right. Anyways, I know what stitch to go in to start each row.

What crochet stitches have you done?
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! Nice to meet you and hope you will enjoy your stay here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I crochet doilies
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Lena,
    Welcome to ct. I didn't think it was bad English either. My Grandma taught me to crochet and a while back I crocheted with plarn cause they did that at out church and I had asked someone about where to start on a row cause I wanted to make sure I was doing it right and I probably was doing it right but wanted to know that I was doing it right. Anyways, I know what stitch to go in to start each row.

What crochet stitches have you done?
    Jean Marie
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I'm so excited because I just learned front post and back post crochet. I've been trying on and off for a while, but I found the "Dream Weaver" pattern by Bernat yarns and I figured I was either going to finally learn or have a load of yarn mocking me. It works up very fast with this pattern so I love the instant gratification factor.
    One disappointment, though. I'm using the Bernat Baby Blanket yarn. My first few skeins, great product very pretty. THEN. I've been finding many knots, 4 in a space of maybe 5 feet. They were very sloppy and trimmed down to the knot so I had to cut out the knot and reknot with enough of a tail to weave in. Since it's so thick, it's a yarn-eater. I'm kind of annoyed, but I'm loving the blanket.

Has anyone used this yarn and experienced this? I read a couple of reviews where people have complained about the same problem, but not enough to discourage me from using it. Maybe I just got the batch that the new employee at Bernat was learning on......

Donna

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Bernat Baby Coordinates yarn. I haven't used it in a while.

Sometimes I find knots in 4 ply yarn.

I just looked at my crochet book and all the stitches say to crochet in the 2nd stitch of the previous row. When I start a new row I always go in the 1st stitch except for the stitch I'm doing now(ldc) which I had to chain first and go in the chain and then the 1st stitch buts otherwise I always go into the 1st stitch of the row.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 10-07-2015 at 09:31 AM.