Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

My name is Special. I'm new.:-D

I've been crouching since I was little. It was just my dad and I growing up, so needles to say, I was the quintessential tom boy.
    Yep, I was the son my dad never had, and I was usually the only girl on the baseball or basketball team. Lo l! I spent more time as a kid working on cars or fishing and camping, you know, hanging whit the guys and playing in the dirt, that I just never really made time to really learn about the girly part of begin a girl. Lol... I remember the first thing I ever crouched. I couldent have been older then 7 or 8 at the time. My dad was working with my grandpa, so on the weekends it was usually just my grandma and I.
    I don't exactly remember the reasion why but one weekend I couldent go outside and apparently my ADHD was getting the best of my grandma so she gave me my very first crochet hook and the ugliest brightest hunter orange yarn I have ever seen in my life, tied a slip not for me, gave me a few pointers, and told me to figure it out. That was the only thing my grandma ever taught me about crouching, Ithe rest I learned on my own. I sat on that couch all day trying out all different kinds of things. By my bed time that night I had a bunch of chain stitched necklaces and figured out how to connect my stitching together to make squares.
    Guess what everyone got that year for christmas. Lol I've pretty much loved crouching every since, but there is only so much you can learn on your own, so I'm super excited that I came across this website. I can't wait to get pointers, and try new things. I'm looking forward to getting to know a few of you. Thanks for making something like this available for people who otherwise wouldn't get this opportunity.

2. Likes Susan2014, AudreyL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! We;come to the Forum. I crochet doilies
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the crochet forums! It is a pleasure to meet you and have you here! Feel free to share in the forums if you like!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Special,
    Glad to have you with us!
    sc(single crochet) is going through 2 loops once
    dc(double crochet) is going through 2 loops twice
    tr(triple crochet) is going through 2 loops 3 times

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, Special. I have several suggestions that I hope will be helpful. First, I don't know your age (young, middle age, or old like me). I don't know where you are from. I don't know if the next thing I will bring up is just typo errors or not. The words you are using and will need are - crochet (you got that right), crocheted as in the past, and crocheting as in now. You used crouching and I think that must have been a typing error since crouching is a bending down position. I only correct you on these because I want you to go online and search for help and tutorials and you will need to type in the correct word. There are some wonderful and fun sites to learn from. The videos are really good and a lot of them. You can back up and play them over and over to catch on to them. I still use them sometimes. You never know it all, you know, and there seems to always be something new to learn. We are all here to help you, and I hope you understand that any criticism is made with good intentions. A new friend - Jheri
    Last edited by Jheri; 07-07-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all let me say Hello and Welcome. I taught myself to crochet in 1957 (yep I’m old) and I still consider myself a learner. The smarter I get the more I realize how dumb I am. There is such a vast amount of knowledge in the world, I can only hope to learn a small part of it at best. However “Nobody knows everything about anything.” The internet is a wonderful place to learn new things. Also to stop and reflect and say, “WOW why didn’t I think of that.” Crochet has a limited number of stitches, it is the way the stitches are combined that make a stitch pattern. Stitch Patterns are used to produce the project we wish to construct. Over the years I have seen many crochet stitch patterns and techniques come in and out of style and I have seen many old stitch patterns come back with new names as a “new” pattern (but it’s still the same stitch old pattern) just used in new and innovative ways. If you enjoy the art of crochet, ask questions, watch the video’s on "You Tube". You will find an amazing amount of free patterns on the internet. Your only limit is your imagination. The patterns on my blog are free, have photo tutorials and there is an email app so you can contact me with crochet questions about my patterns. I will take the time to help you as best I can.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

8. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I too am new to the site. I've been so busy working etc. that I didn't have the time before. My favorite thing to knit and crochet is making chemo hats for the kids. I make them and send them to Knots of Love and they send to places like Saint Judes etc. It is a good way to use your scrap yarn and yet do something to make a child's day a little brighter with what they are going through. If there is anything I can help you with, you only have to let me know. I've been knitting/croching 50 years. I don't know it all but I know a lot. Every day is a day in which we learn something new. New needles, new yarns to use and so many new things. A couple of hats I've done. Hugs, Bev
    My name is Special. I'm new.:-D-chemo-caps-knots-love2013-jpg My name is Special. I'm new.:-D-chemo_bumble_bee_3-17-13_medium-jpg
    Last edited by rileydaisy; 07-09-2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add new picture

Post Thanks / Like
    What nice hats! It s wonderful work
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rileydaisy View Post
    I too am new to the site. I've been so busy working etc. that I didn't have the time before. My favorite thing to knit and crochet is making chemo hats for the kids. I make them and send them to Knots of Love and they send to places like Saint Judes etc. It is a good way to use your scrap yarn and yet do something to make a child's day a little brighter with what they are going through. If there is anything I can help you with, you only have to let me know. I've been knitting/croching 50 years. I don't know it all but I know a lot. Every day is a day in which we learn something new. New needles, new yarns to use and so many new things. A couple of hats I've done. Hugs, Bev
    My name is Special. I'm new.:-D-chemo-caps-knots-love2013-jpg My name is Special. I'm new.:-D-chemo_bumble_bee_3-17-13_medium-jpg
    You make lovely hats. I too use up my stash for things I can donate. I love your bumble bee hat. So clever
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the group. I have only been crocheting for a year. I taught myself by watching a dvd for beginners. I have made a couple stuffed animals, made my first granny afghan for my son and his family last christmas and am working on making my daughter one, hats, coasters booties and dishrags. I have also made a couple doll clothes one for 18 inch doll and one for a fashion doll and I am now working on an 18 inch doll outfit. I enjoy crocheting especially when I can give my things to others. The smiles on their faces is thanks enough for me and makes me feel so good inside that I can give something to others. My family always said they would rather i make them something because it is worth more when it comes from the heart. It is so nice to meet you.