Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Veterans Day

Post Thanks / Like

Veterans Day

Veterans Day: A celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

World War I officially ended when the Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919. However, fighting ceased seven months earlier when an armistice between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. November 11, 1918, is generally regarded as the end of “the war to end all wars.”

President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day with the following words: "To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…"

With the approval of legislation on June 1, 1954, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

I want to thank all the Veterans. I salute you for your part in the preservation of freedom and I honor you for your courage and devotion to us.

To the families of our veterans I want to thank you as well, I know not only as a Veteran but as a wife and mother of service men that you to have sacrificed for our freedom as well.
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 11-11-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

2. Likes LI Roe, Nanatwo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    To everyone who has ever served their country, my respect and heartfelt thanks for your sacrifice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree, if it wasn't for the sacrifices that these brave men and women have done for us, we would not be enjoying the freedom that we have.

I have to tell a little story about a veteran I happened to meet. I was walking home one day a couple of years ago, it was the Saturday before Memorial Day, and was passing two guys getting onto their motorcycles near the American Legion Hall. I stopped one of them and asked if he was a veteran, he looked at me since he wasn't sure what I was getting at, but he said yes and in the Vietnam War. At that point I said I wanted to thank him and the others for what he and they have done for us, that nobody ever really thanks our vets. Anyway, this big, burly guy with a long grey hair ponytail, a couple of tattoos started to tear up and extended his hand to mine to thank me. I nearly lost it. He is thanking me for acknowledging their efforts? It is something I will always remember. So thank you to all who served or to those who have lost loved ones who have served. We love you all.

LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to say thank you to all the veterans out there, my father and my daughter included, for their years of service. You are what makes this nation great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saluting all the veterans for the sacrifices you've made for our nation. Please know what an honor it is to live in a country that has people willing to protect our country. There are no weaklings among you! True men and women of valor! Thank you. Special memorium: 3 uncles and a cousin who served this country well! I salute all veterans this day and always.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!