Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of you grow roses?

A green thumb I do not have but I saw these beautiful rose trees. I had never seen anything like them. I thought surely I could grow a couple of those. I am having no trouble growing them. I am having trouble keeping beetles out of them. They are eating the roses and the leaves. I bought everything anyone told me would work last year and never did totally get rid of them. I was praying they would not be back this year but they are. Do any of you know how to get rid of these bugs. They are black and look like a beetle and they get down in the center of the rose. Any help would be very appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    On your bug problem, mix up some Dawn dish soap, some water and spray the roses well. It won't hurt the rose but will kill the bugs I don't grow them down here because every plant needs to be in pots on the cement of the porch. I had some real pretty ones growing near my house before we sold it and moved here to be close to the girls . I had a bad problem there with aphid. They left . Someone told me to get some lady bugs. but this worked good for me. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW. I have one rose on my window and it does not bloom this year... What can I do? == Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Larisa, does your plant get any sun? I had a Peace rose and it wasn't doing to well. One lady here told me that and she has a beautiful rose garden. So I gave her the rose and it is doing great now. Also she puts rose fertilizer on it. But the sun was the best thing for the plant. And the main thing is a good rain. Margaret.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Margaret. I have decided rose is under hot sun and moved it farther from Window. I thought sun will burn it. Now I will put it to previous place == Larisa
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    you might want to see if they are Japanese beetles I have roses in my yard and every year I get japanese beetles I use garlic water and spray the roses with it ( use this to get rid of aphids too) but the soapy water works too
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the blue Dawn last year and it helped some but never really got rid of them. I think they are invisible or something. They are even eating the leaves. Maybe I am just not soaking them often enough. I may have to get my husband to fix me up the sprayer he uses to kill weeds with Dawn and just drown them every day for a while. Thank you all. They are so frustrating the roses are so pretty then the bugs just ruin them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have roses and I have black spot and all the leaves have fallen off and they look terrible. I have been spraying them with the solution recommended on here . Hopefully when the leaves return they will be without the black spots. I have had the Japanese beetles on them last year and I picked them off and stepped on them. Now you insect lovers can hate on me but my roses are more important than the beetles and I am not going to care about the beetles unless they came over from England!! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a systemic mixture (Bayer) and you dilute per instructions and in March pour on mix to whatever plants, trees you want. It lasts for 12 months. Works like a charm! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not personally tried to grow roses, but I absolutely LOVE the smell of roses!