Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Home Owners Association Rules For Condo Owners ?

Hello to everyone,

I was wondering -- Does anyone know anything about HOA rules for condo owners? I am looking into buying a condo and it is under HOA rules and guidelines. I have not got a booklet of these rules yet for the condo's. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!
    Last edited by libertylady64; 07-06-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Crochet Chickadee

Post Thanks / Like
    The laws are different in every state and rules and regulations vary from condo to condo. I lived in a condo in Atlanta and now live in a gated community in Florida. Read thoroughly and perhaps have a real estate attorney read snd or talk with a neighbor. What percentage of owners does it take to change a rule, etc.
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yarnoholic View Post
    The laws are different in every state and rules and regulations vary from condo to condo. I lived in a condo in Atlanta and now live in a gated community in Florida. Read thoroughly and perhaps have a real estate attorney read snd or talk with a neighbor. What percentage of owners does it take to change a rule, etc.
    Pam
    Great advice, Pam. I have a friend here in Oklahoma who purchased a condo, and she is happy with the condo itself, but has had some problems with the HOA rules because she didn't do her homework. The rest of the condo owners voted for an "assessment" to redo the streets in the condo development. She was out a bunch of money that she didn't plan on. So, it pays to read the rules very carefully, and yes, showing them to an attorney is a good thing to do also.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

4. Likes libertylady64 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everyone! We pay $100 per year because we don't have a park or much other interior upkeep except for the front street sign. However, we paid two special assessments just this year to the tune of $400 for sidewalk repair, fencing along the edge of the perimeter, etc. Some people are generally hard to deal with at times. When we moved here (homes not a condo) hubby put up an 8 foot ham radio antenna behind the house, in a corner, where it could not even be seen from the st. Someone complained and gave us 10 days to take it down or pay a fine (like it was hurting or bothering anyone). They say not to put DISH where it can be seen but guess how many have them like that? They also say not to park RV's, multiple cars in front of your house, must be in garage etc. The guy next to us has a drive through driveway so he parks truck, RV, watercraft etc on the other driveway, like it can't be seen from the st? Condo HOA fees can be very expensive.

SO I agree with everyone who has written on here. Read the bylaws etc. very closely. Shirley

6. Likes libertylady64 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I too agree with what everyone else has said. Shirley, are you sure you don't live in my neighborhood? Your neighborhood sounds just like mine. Be careful of the neighbor you talk to though. We thought that was a good suggestion and just our luck we met the neighborhood grump. He is a real character. I guess every neighborhood has one. He is our neighbor across the back fence. We put up about a 5' fence and with the post it is about 6' so we don't have to fool with him much.

8. Likes libertylady64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend that her HOA can dictate what plants can be planted and where. After hearing that and a few others I swore I would never live in a HOA neighborhood. My sons inlaws live in a HOA and when they put up a bird house their neighbors (the grumpy ones) went and measured to make sure they had it placed correctly. In this case it had to be at least 10 feet from the property line. They were the worse neighbors ever. I even threatened to go over there and have a few words with them after they yelled at my son (before he married). He was only trying to be helpful and was mowing his future inlaws yard. Also the HOA fined them 5 dollars a month for 9 months because my daughter in law placed a yellow ribbon on a tree in front of their home while my son was in Kuwait. From my understanding the grumpy neighbor complained to the HOA about it, but the best part is another neighbor paid the fine for her. BTW the grumpy ones moved out 8 months into my sons deployment.
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 07-07-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I am fortunate. I live in a neighborhood that has HOA fees of $50.00 a year and it is voluntary. I don't have to join, We own our own private beach access and beach area, we have our own water plant(that serves more than our neighborhood, should outsiders prefer our water...and they do!) It is one of the safest places that I have lived in. In the past 13 years there has only been 2 incidents, Neighborhood kids opening unlocked cars and taking stuff. They got caught and it was over. The entry to the neighborhood is kept up by volunteers. There are golf cart parades, boat parades, happy hours, street parties, holiday parties, beach parties and even poker runs all through the year. And on top of that the yards are for the most part kept beautiful. We have a neighbor helping neighbor group that lives here. Should I need a tool or muscles, neighbors are there to help. I am sooo blessed to be living here. -janine

11. Likes libertylady64 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It only takes one mean person to ruin the whole experience. Janine, I am so glad you live in that great place. It sounds fantastic. We have a yard sale in the spring for the community but otherwise there is basically no interaction. We have across the street neighbor who is OCD and vacuums his rocks, etc. but they are nice. He and wife just retired and in the past 3 weeks he was diagnosed with Stage 4 stomach, liver and bone cancer. Just makes us sick for them.

Luapmerriam: Perhaps!!! HAHA. Just this week we got a letter telling us which fences need to be repainted, fix cracks, and given 10 days to get it done. We definitely are very careful who we speak to cuz you never know. We had a sprinkler that somehow got turned toward another house fence and rather than come to us they went right to the board and again 10 days to fix it. Whatever happened to over the fence visiting?

MsBhaven: I can't believe they fussed about yellow ribbons on the trees! I love to see those ribbons! It takes so much energy to be mean and nasty!!! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    Janine, where in central Florida . Sounds really nice.

14. Likes libertylady64 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't live in a community where there are HOA and honestly, will never live in one, whether it is a condo or house. I love my little house and the freedom to put up a fence, plant what I want, hang my laundry outside, you get the idea. While I understand that there are people who don't care what their houses or property look like (I take pride in keeping up my property and house since I have pride in my home and neighbors), HOA regulations attempt to keep things looking nice. But moaning about a yellow ribbon on a tree to support our troops is inexcusable, our service men and women allow us to live in freedom. Sorry, I get a little carried away. Or putting up a flagpole? I've read where a HOA homeowner was admonished for that because it was a high pole. Wonder how they would feel about my pink flamingos roaming my backyard, side patio and front yard?? LOL!

Seriously though, if someone finds an area where they are happy, that is what counts. But I agree with everyone else, read the fine print, so that you know what exactly you are responsible for so there are no surprises. There are a lot of people who are happy. Good luck.

LI Roe

16. Likes libertylady64 liked this post