Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Crochet and Knitting is Old Fashioned.....?????

To my surprise, I am finding that a lot of people don't think that people still crochet and or knit. I came across 2 neighbors that were so surprised that I do both. Their reaction was surprising. A big "you do ?" was their remark. Hmm.

The other day my daughter and I were having a yard sale and I asked 2 people if they knew anyone that crocheted or knitted and they both at the same time said that it was an olden day thing to do. I laughed to myself and tried to inform them that there are many of us that do. They couldn't be bothered. I was only trying to give away some bits and pieces of left over yarns.

Anyone else finding this ?

2. Likes Landon, Kathy B., Magnolia Blossom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carynjoyb View Post
    To my surprise, I am finding that a lot of people don't think that people still crochet and or knit. I came across 2 neighbors that were so surprised that I do both. Their reaction was surprising. A big "you do ?" was their remark. Hmm.

The other day my daughter and I were having a yard sale and I asked 2 people if they knew anyone that crocheted or knitted and they both at the same time said that it was an olden day thing to do. I laughed to myself and tried to inform them that there are many of us that do. They couldn't be bothered. I was only trying to give away some bits and pieces of left over yarns.

Anyone else finding this ?
    There's a lot of discussion about this topic in the "crochet bias" thread. I just posted this list there of some of the top crochet blogs on the internet.

I think crocheting is making a comeback, and maybe some folks who don't go online very much don't know it! Here is the site. The blogs are very interesting for ideas and inspiration:

Top 10 Crochet Blogs, 2013 edition - Libertys Yarn
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    When you go on ravelry you can definitely tell its come back! I went to a festival this weekend and saw a lot of knitted and crocheted things both on people and for sale. I think it is making a huge come back.
    Last edited by AmberMuffinz; 05-27-2013 at 11:01 PM.

5. Likes Carynjoyb, Landon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just look in the clothing stores online, you see a lot of crochet summer tops, and they are beautiful. So it definately coming back, and almost everything I see is crochet and not knitting.. I have never spoken to anyone that thought it was strange, most said that they crochet or that the always wanted to learn. But I live in a Farming community so that could be the reason..
    Last edited by MeerKat; 05-27-2013 at 10:58 PM.

7. Likes Carynjoyb, Landon, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the Farmers Market a couple of Saturdays ago and there was about 7 or 8 booths with handwork. I asked about several items and the ladies talked about knitting them. And a lot of the churches have groups making blankets and prayer shawls So I think the women are making things and we just don't hear about them. And too, the yarn has gotten so high in price a lot of us on a low income can't afford to buy the high priced stuff. Buggainok, if you want to give the yarn away look up a senior Center . I bet you will find a lot of them in the country towns. They take material ,too. The one I was in before we moved down here , the ladies made a hand sewn quilt and auctioned it at the local Fair. The money went for improving the center and some of the nursing homes in the town. I went to a Veterans hospital and asked them if I could make afghans for the nursing home people. He told me he'd rather have hats . I said alright, how many do you want. He said 600. They give them out as Christmas presents. I went back to the ladies at the center, told them that I needed 600 hats in 36 days. We delivered 569 to the hospital on the day they had given us. Some were knitted but most of them were crocheted. All of this shows, us old women have kept the art alive. But how many of the younger generation can do it? Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    People can be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo weird!!!

10. Likes Carynjoyb, Magnolia Blossom liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Girls! I must a very old lady at 53. I have taught more young people to crochet or knit than I can count. I have given away more afghans, mittens, scarves, hats, toys, etc, etc, than I can remember. I am always on the look out for crochet hooks and knitting needles, yarns and books, as more often than not, I will send a young person home with a supply once they have gotten started. I love to crochet and knit. That is just me and I guess that it shows as I almost always have some sort of project with me where ever I go. The younger set see it and then are curious and want to know more about it. So, I would hazard a guess that maybe they just haven't really seen it around. While visiting friends in N.H. I was crocheting slippers. I had mad a set for my girl fiend and while there I made a set for her husband. Their grand son [age 3] came over and sat in my lap as I was stitching. He sat there for almost 3 hours as I stitched and asked question after question as I worked. He finally wanted to "try to titch" I had him place his hands over mine as I worked and the biggest grin came over his face! Then I reversed our hands as I stitched and he was off! Now {2 years later} when he goes to Grams and Gramps house he wants to know where his stitching basket is. He has made 2 full "carves" so far and is still going. The funniest thing about this is that my girl friends' husband decided to check out this "stitching business" and got on the computer and decided to start knitting. [ he is 64] So when we go to visit them now, he and I can get into some very long "talks" about stitching. He is currently making his wife a shall! So I would say that none of are to young or to old to learn, it may be just some one just needs to spark our curiousity at some thing we see being done as ok and enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought that crochet was gone. I haven't stopped crocheting ever. I take little breaks here and there, but I always have my yarn and hooks waiting for me. It just seems so strange to me that people think that it's a lost art. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberMuffinz View Post
    When you go on ravelry you can definitely tell its come back! I went to a festival this weekend and saw a lot of knitted and crocheted things both on people and for sale. I think it is making a huge come back.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few months ago I had a 9 year old student very interested in learning how to crochet. She now crochets at home with youtube videos. They are out there wanting to learn first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas transplant View Post
    I went to the Farmers Market a couple of Saturdays ago and there was about 7 or 8 booths with handwork. I asked about several items and the ladies talked about knitting them. And a lot of the churches have groups making blankets and prayer shawls So I think the women are making things and we just don't hear about them. And too, the yarn has gotten so high in price a lot of us on a low income can't afford to buy the high priced stuff. Buggainok, if you want to give the yarn away look up a senior Center . I bet you will find a lot of them in the country towns. They take material ,too. The one I was in before we moved down here , the ladies made a hand sewn quilt and auctioned it at the local Fair. The money went for improving the center and some of the nursing homes in the town. I went to a Veterans hospital and asked them if I could make afghans for the nursing home people. He told me he'd rather have hats . I said alright, how many do you want. He said 600. They give them out as Christmas presents. I went back to the ladies at the center, told them that I needed 600 hats in 36 days. We delivered 569 to the hospital on the day they had given us. Some were knitted but most of them were crocheted. All of this shows, us old women have kept the art alive. But how many of the younger generation can do it? Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a 33 year old guy who started crocheting 2 years ago lol I make awesome stuff. People wonder why? Well cause
    I like to.