Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
    Post Thanks / Like

A beautiful sight

Long story...I own a dance school in a rural community, where a good number of the students are homeschooled. (I also homeschooled my 3 as well as my oldest daughter is homeschooling her 4) But anyway. We are a tight knit bunch, the parents are very supportive of our school. The students come from vast areas as we are the only dance school for about 30 miles. The population is not very high here, so the students are as family especially the homeschoolers.

I begin my Wednesdays at 7:00pm, it is the latest day I go in as my youngest daughter teaches from 2:30 until 7:00. I walked into the studio on Wednesday and in the waiting room I saw a group of dancers who were on an hour break (due to a class that was going on in the danceroom that they do not take) sitting on the floor in a circle.

So I walked over to them to say hello and one dancer who is 15 ( homeschooled) was teaching 5 other dancers (ages 11 to 16) how to crochet! She was teaching them how to chain and some were learning single crochet. She brought in all her own supplies, hooks of various sizes, balls of yarn, a hook chart, a book of stitches and other wonderful things!
    Well I had introduced this dancer to crochet about 4 years ago at a sleepover party we were having at the studio. I was using crochet as an activity at the sleepover to wind them down....LOL. After that sleepover, she had asked her grandmother to help her learn to crochet.

Since the sleepover, she has brought in project after project to show me that she had made as well as her younger sister. They love amigurumi the best!

But to see the circle of dancers learning to crochet was so heartwarming, instead of seeing the usual sight of dancers waiting for their classes and viewing their phones! But the best part is that the dancers who were learning, are all so interested that they are all purchasing their own supplies and will be ready for another crochet lesson next Wednesday!
    Dance is the hidden language of the soul

http://otsegodance.com

2. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Likes MeToo!, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Teri,
    A lovely story.

Thanks for sharing with us.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you Spoula....It was such a nice thing to watch them

5. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Teri, I agree here is my story about passing it on. I had a very close friend that went with me to my mothers house to visit. My mother was doing some crochet and my friend was so excited about it she asked my mother to show her how to do some stitches. Later my friend never came to see me anymore and I didn't understand why. I tried to reach her but she told me she was really busy and would get back to me. I was pregnant at the time and was planning the nursery. A few of our friends gave me a baby shower and my friend came too. It was so nice to see her again after such a long time and her gift to me was a beautiful white and blue baby blanket that she crocheted.
    That is why I had not see her because she wanted it to be a surprise for me and it was.
    I tried to get my daughter interested in sewing or crochet but she does not like to do it but she loves what I do. My little 4 year old grand daughter loves my hooks and yarn and I let her do what she wants with them.(the yarn is in knots later but she is interested in learning and she tries). I just learned a few months ago my older grand daughter had a roommate that does crochet and showed her some stitches. She loves to do it and has started a blanket. She telephoned me one day to ask me why her blanket is getting smaller as she is going up. Easy mistake for beginners. I was so excited about that because now when I leave this earth I have two grand daughters that I can pass down this craft and all my hooks and needles.
    Spoula

7. Likes MeToo!, Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OH what a sweet story! Passing on to younger generations, that is how our society exists. I have 2 daughters and a son. My son is the middle child. I tried to get my oldest daughter (now 41) to crochet but she was not interested. But my son has made afghans! My youngest daughter (now 28) however, does everything I do, crochet, sews, knits and dances. She graduated a Theater and Dance major from college and is on my teaching staff. She out does me. LOL My son is a chef. He picked up my cooking skills which is only vegan cooking, but went on to culinary school. The oldest ....well I suppose she picked up my skill as a mom. She is a stay at home mom with 4 kids. LOL. But she is a drummer and graduated college as a music major....I don't know where she got that skill except me paying for lessons. LOL. I am a terrible piano player for sure LOL

9. Likes Nova55, spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A nice story, Teri. Funny how things work out!

My son is a chef. He picked up my cooking skills which is only vegan cooking, but went on to culinary school.

I don't eat meat, and do mostly vegan cooking as well. Hard to be 100% vegan in one's cooking, though, with other adults living in one's household. They gotta eat what they want! (OK with me.)

@Spoula.

She telephoned me one day to ask me why her blanket is getting smaller as she is going up

Ha ha ha. Happened to all of us. My crochet teacher when I was a teenager started me out with a teeny steel hook and skinny cotton thread to make...a DOILY. What kind of a starting project is that. No one on this earth struggled harder. But, hey, the first doily I ever made (couple of years ago) was from a pattern you gave me and it looks nice. So, 40 years later, there ya go. God works in mysterious ways etc. etc. etc.

11. Likes Nova55, spoula, Teri liked this post