Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

My Summer Gardening Experience

My Summer Gardening Experience

Waiting, wondering, expecting and reaching goals...that's what makes gardening exciting for me! With the weather being extremely hot this summer, I've been grateful to receive "small gifts" of harvest. As I dart outside to water, weed and care for my veggies and fruits; I quickly get back inside to the cool comfort of my home. Awwww thank God for the ac system!

I planted, some seeds germinated and some didn't survive. The cycle of life! I prefer watching the growth of seeds peek out from beneath the soil. I did buy a Hungarian Hot Wax pepper and a Celebrity tomato plant. Have harvested 4 peppers and 2 tomatoes...so fresh and delicious! Today I harvested and have eaten 2 slices of my 1st cantaloupe from my garden. It is so sweet and juicy! They are 4 more good-sized ones on the vines. Just waiting 'til harvest time! My okra seedlings are gaining momentum. I recently replanted watermelon seeds and they are growing rapidly. The temp must be just right for them now! No sight of the chives I recently planted! The tomato plants from seed are just leafy and green. Maybe too much fertilizer too soon... it's a wait and see game. The challenge is on! I have the patience to plant and replant. No worries! I'm really enjoying the lushness that I see on my patio and in my small in-ground garden. Watching the bees buzzing and pollinating is a sight to be seen! I'm enjoying this adventure that is happening right in my own backyard!

What's happening in your garden?

~Happy Gardening~Butterflyrose

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Nice to hear from you! I did not do any gardening this year! Not even a single flower!

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband tried another veggie garden this year. Last year we had a fantastic (too fantastic) crop of butternut squash and zucchini, but we still had issues with other plants. This year he planted a variety. The zucchini came up, but when the temp went to 113, they died. Some beans came up but died pretty quick too. Then we tested the soil and found it was depleted in potash and potassium, I think. We've been composting for years and he even got a bunch of manure and more compost, but this dirt is still lousy. I remember telling my husband that if he really wanted a garden, he needed to create raised beds and fill them with good soil, but he wasn't interested. You know the soil is bad when the weeds won't even grow in it! Oh, well. Better luck next year.

4. Likes MeToo! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My husband tried another veggie garden this year. Last year we had a fantastic (too fantastic) crop of butternut squash and zucchini, but we still had issues with other plants. This year he planted a variety. The zucchini came up, but when the temp went to 113, they died. Some beans came up but died pretty quick too. Then we tested the soil and found it was depleted in potash and potassium, I think. We've been composting for years and he even got a bunch of manure and more compost, but this dirt is still lousy. I remember telling my husband that if he really wanted a garden, he needed to create raised beds and fill them with good soil, but he wasn't interested. You know the soil is bad when the weeds won't even grow in it! Oh, well. Better luck next year. Nice to hear you're having better luck than us, Butterflyrose!

Post Thanks / Like
    My husband tried another veggie garden this year. Last year we had a fantastic (too fantastic) crop of butternut squash and zucchini, but we still had issues with other plants. This year he planted a variety. The zucchini came up, but when the temp went to 113, they died. Some beans came up but died pretty quick too. Then we tested the soil and found it was depleted in potash and potassium, I think. We've been composting for years and he even got a bunch of manure and more compost, but this dirt is still lousy. I remember telling my husband that if he really wanted a garden, he needed to create raised beds and fill them with good soil, but he wasn't interested. You know the soil is bad when the weeds won't even grow in it! Oh, well. Better luck next year. Nice to hear you're having better luck than us, Butterflyrose!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the duplicates. Obviously I screwed up somewhere, and I couldn't find a way to delete the extras!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Hello,

Nice to hear from you! I did not do any gardening this year! Not even a single flower!
    Hi Barbara, thank you! I pray that you and your family are doing well. I hope you can get some gardening done in the upcoming year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Nova55! the temp has been exceedingly high this summer. These last few weeks, my younger daughter has helped with the watering. A true blessing 'cuz there were days that I didn't want to face that heat! Wishing you success on your garden next year! Was the butternut squash and zucchini from last year's harvest tasty and delicious?

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I planted lettuce and habanero pepper seeds in my patio garden. Again, we had rain! Loving the rain...helping my garden to grow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Butterflyrose - I'm not crazy about butternut squash but I did find a recipe where you slice them, drizzle with a little olive oil and dust lightly with chili powder and bake them on a flat sheet for about 15 -20 minutes - and they come out tasting sweet! No lie, they come out sweet and delicious. The zucchini was wonderful. I found a recipe where you basically replace the noodles in spaghetti with the zucchini and it was wonderful. The main problem was/is 1. in CA when these plants come to fruition it's still hot (95+) and so using the oven or stove becomes a bit unbearable, and 2. My husband planted too many of these plants, so we had so much that after about the fourth or fifth week of eating all this, you get a little tired of it. I know you can freeze the butternut, but my husband was handling that and he wasn't interested. Well, we don't have those problems this year! That's ok. I'll live vicariously through you and I'll enjoy your harvest in my imagination!