Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

For those waiting for Hurricane Florence (I am one of them)

Hi. Due to personal reasons, I have not been on in a long time but I want to reach out to those who will be affected by Hurricane Florence. I live in Leland NC, just a tad west of Wilmington and a little further from Wrightsville Beach, where Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel is right now. And you know when he is somewhere, it is not good news.

Seriously though, for those who will be affected in NC, SC and VA, please heed any warnings and instructions from your town, county and state officials. If you chose to stay like I did as well as many of my neighbors and others in whatever area you reside and who also chose to stay, please look out for them. Make sure you have the essentials if you lose power, if you can get out to pick up last minute items, do it before they are all gone, right now it is a category 4 and potentially the most dangerous to hit the Carolinas in a long time. Storm surges can reach over 40 inches of rain in many parts.

Thank y'all for reading this and again, be careful, vigilant and stay safe. Prayers for all of us who will be affected.
    Last edited by LI Roe; 09-12-2018 at 05:22 AM.

2. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sending prayers for you and the others in the path of the storm!

4. Thanks LI Roe thanked for this post
    Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Li Roe, I hope you and your family are out of harms way and somewhere safe.
    My prayers are with you and all in NC.

Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 09-16-2018 at 07:45 AM.

6. Thanks LI Roe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pray that those in the path of the storm will be kept safe including LI Roe!!
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-12-2018 at 09:56 AM.

8. Thanks LI Roe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sending concerned thoughts and prayers for the safety of all those in Florence's path. Stay Safe.

10. Thanks LI Roe thanked for this post
    Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. As of this writing, it is down to a Cat 2 (and Leland as per the tv this morning, should be a Cat 1 but again, it is nature and that could change). But at least it is a tad encouraging. I am in an area which is fairly good so I decided to stay and understand what consequences may or may not be.

Two of my neighbors decided to leave this morning at 6ish am. Going to GA which has now been declared a state of emergency. I understand about responders not be able to get to people and our NC rep said today that they may not get to us and we just have to patient. I just worry about those who are pregnant and near delivery (I'm 66, not happening to me, LOL) but seriously, also those elderly and those in failing health but usually they are the first ones to be evacuated.

Again, thanks and those affected, hang in there. This too shall pass

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Roe. I am up in NJ and don’t know what’s happening in your area. I do know that there is a lot of flooding. Is your area flooded? I pray not. I pray that you and your family and neighbors are safe and unharmed. Please let us all know how you are as soon as you can.

13. Thanks LI Roe thanked for this post
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Roe View Post
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. As of this writing, it is down to a Cat 2 (and Leland as per the tv this morning, should be a Cat 1 but again, it is nature and that could change). But at least it is a tad encouraging. I am in an area which is fairly good so I decided to stay and understand what consequences may or may not be.

Two of my neighbors decided to leave this morning at 6ish am. Going to GA which has now been declared a state of emergency. I understand about responders not be able to get to people and our NC rep said today that they may not get to us and we just have to patient. I just worry about those who are pregnant and near delivery (I'm 66, not happening to me, LOL) but seriously, also those elderly and those in failing health but usually they are the first ones to be evacuated.

Again, thanks and those affected, hang in there. This too shall pass

Roe
    Hi Roe,
    I hope you are doing well and did not get the worst of the storm. We have a dear friend who also lives in Leland. He said he still has electric and no flooding, so I'm praying you are doing good too. Please let us all know that you are okay.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

15. Thanks LI Roe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear! I wish you all the best. Love ya
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

17. Thanks LI Roe thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone. Wanted to update on what went on. I had minor damage, some shingles blew off but only a couple water spots in my living room ceiling but they did not spread nor buckle or bubble so I don't have to replace the ceiling, just have it repainted once they seal the attic and then two gates on either side of my house fell down. I have someone here right now repairing the double gate and rebuilding the single gate. The six foot stockade fence surprisingly stayed up.The adjuster is coming tomorrow with the roofer (already tarped so that is done) since I did file claims immediately and got someone to tarp, they recommended the roofer so that is good. Compared to many houses on my court and everywhere else, I was spared catastrophic damage. One other house will have to be almost totally regutted inside (almost like the show Flip or Flop) and they live across the street from me. It is heartbreaking to see how Hurricane Florence affected my area in Leland (where I live) and Wilmington and so many other towns. And it was a Cat 1 but the storm stalled after the eye hit and the constant rain after that caused more damage and flooding along with storm surges.

My power was only out from 6:30pm on Friday 9/14 and came back on 2:45pm Sat 9/15. For two days I had a landline, cable and internet and then on Monday, that cut off but we still had electric power. Fortunately, cable, internet and landline went back on Friday 9/21 so I am now able to better access online, very difficult using a cell phone.

I am not in a flood zone, did not have to be mandatory evacuated, I chose to stay and it worked out. Jo, I think I remember where your friend lives (if you ever get back here, look me up) and they were not flooded either.

Now the process of healing and picking up the pieces begin. It was so heartwarming to see everyone come together. I am on the private social network Next Door for my community (it is a nationwide site) and it was amazing how people just were there for others, whether or not they even knew them. They say it takes a village to raise a child, in this case, it is taking so many communities to help rebuild.

Thank you to all who prayed and thought of us during this time. You always see it on tv in but never think it will affect your area. It is almost surreal.

Will be popping in and out since I am now trying to catch up. Again, thank you!!!
    Last edited by LI Roe; 09-22-2018 at 07:38 AM.

19. Thanks Barbara G., kl1000, spoula thanked for this post