Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Winter Recipes

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the slow cooker two to three times a week, year round. I find it useful in the summer because we live in an old farmhouse that doesn't have air conditioning. We do use some window units in the bedrooms so we can sleep at night but the place is too big and has ceilings. It would cost a fortune to retrofit for air conditioning so when its 95 outside, its 95 in the kitchen. Cooking or using the oven in that weather is a nightmare. So I use the crockpot. It doesn't heat up the house the way the stove or oven would. I have plenty of recipes I can share or email to anyone who is interested.

And thanks for all the receips. I am adding theses to my files.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the slow cooker two to three times a week, year round. I find it useful in the summer because we live in an old farmhouse that doesn't have air conditioning. We do use some window units in the bedrooms so we can sleep at night but the place is too big and has ceilings. It would cost a fortune to retrofit for air conditioning so when its 95 outside, its 95 in the kitchen. Cooking or using the oven in that weather is a nightmare. So I use the crockpot. It doesn't heat up the house the way the stove or oven would. I have plenty of recipes I can share or email to anyone who is interested. And thanks for all the recipes. I am adding theses to my files.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always welcome recipes...I have two notebooks full of handwritten recipes. I quite enjoy writing and the feel of paper in all its forms so I write down all the recipes that I make regularly.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Wouldn't it be great to make our own Crochet Talk cookbook. We can save the recipes posted and place in our book. Does anyone else have recipes they would like to share? I look forward to reading more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I love to use my crock pot all the time! It is my best friend in the kitchen at times!

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Barbi, got lots of recipes...all of you can tell me what type of dishes you like and i will see if i got any of those in my recipe notebook. I don't know if you like curry but here's how I make mine:

You will need: curry powder (1 rounded tablespoon for every person), ginger and garlic paste mixed (1 level tablespoon or a bit less), oil for cooking (2 turns), salt (to taste), chopped or blended tomatoes (about 2 big ones for every four persons), curry leaves, coriander (a bunch, chopped), water to add to the cooking mixture, cooked/fried meat/fish of some kind (chicken, beef, lamb, prawns, fish...etc, except sausages).

Here's how you proceed: Heat the oil in a saucepan then put in the garlic&ginger and fry one minute. Then add the curry leaves and the curry powder and mix well so it does not stick. Add water to make a thick paste and cook a minute. Add the tomatoes and mix well; bring to the boil and add water (preferably hot if you have at hand) to thin up the sauce so it has time to cook without drying up. When it boils, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes (check the sauce, don't let it dry up). Near the end of cooking, 5 minutes before the end, add the cooked or fried meat/fish and also the chopped coriander. Switch off and let stand at least 15 minutes before serving warm with rice, Indian flat breads, naan bread or bread! Choice is yours! Enjoy!

Tip: if you like it hot, just add some chili paste together with the curry powder or at the end with the meat.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon,

I once had a recipe for homemade applesauce. It was delicious! I think I will have to search for it again!

It is great when you eat it warm in the winter time. It was quite easy to prepare! MMM!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my slow cooker, it's the best invention ever! I have days where it's just manic, the kids come in fron school and then we're out doing swimming or dancing or something, and they come in starving hungry and desperate for something to eat. If I haven't been organised and put something in the slow cooker more often than not we end up at McDonald's..... I don't really follow recipes for the slow cooker but everyone enjoys beef stewed with tomatoes, red wine, onions and spicy sausage. Good hearty food and cooking it all day makes the beef very tender and soft.