Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

about textile and fiber

i want to know what is the fiber or textile that you prefer to use for the crochet or that you recommand for a beginner ? nylon - cotton - polyester - wool - alpaga ? thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    especially for a blanket and i buy this size of crochet on yarnspiration - 10mm - 6.5mm - 8mm - i dont know if the work can be complicate with the big size of tools for a beginner
    @!£x

Post Thanks / Like
    In teaching someone how to crochet, I use a #4 weight yarn, usually an acrylic but I have also used wool. The yarn needs to be strong because it will usually be unraveled pretty often. I have the student purchase one skein, and this skein will be for practice for all stitches and patterns the student tries. I also have the student use an H or J hook. This way, after the person has more practice in the medium range, it'll be easier for them to go up to thicker yarn/hooks or down to thinner yarns/hooks, both of which are considered more difficult than the medium range.

Generally the first item made doesn't turn out too good, so investing in a beautiful/expensive yarn usually isn't suggested when you're just learning. There are some quality acrylic yarns out there - I'm currently working with a no-pill acrylic from Michael's craft store called Colorwheel and I'm very happy with it. A cotton/acrylic blend yarn could also work well. Try to find something with a tighter twist and not too "fuzzy" - the more fuzziness to a yarn the more likely it will knot and get stuck on itself if you need to unravel it.

One last suggestion for beginners - work with 1) medium-level solid colors and 2) standard yarn. With that I mean no multi-color, variegated or ombre colored yarns, because your eye wants to look at the color, so it'll be harder to see the stitch. Work with a medium color, nothing super light or dark hued because those colors make it harder to see the stitches too. Plus work with standard plied twisted yarn - no boucles or other fancy made yarns, because again they make it very hard to see the stitch.

I am always so happy when someone wants to learn how to crochet because I think it is a wonderfully rewarding hobby. I do believe that if you follow my suggestions you'll have an easier time of learning. And of course, any suggestions from the rest of you in Crochet Talk world would certainly be welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderfully stated! Exactly what I do.
    ---HarriEtta

5. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for your help nova55
    @!£x

Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome!