Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Acronyms

Post Thanks / Like

Acronyms

F- friends
    R- relatives
    A- acquaintances
    N- neighbors

Do you have any acronyms that you just learned or want to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a couple online - HOPE - Hold On Pain Ends
    FAITH - Forwarding All Issues To Heaven

Roe

3. Likes bristol2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are good ones, ladies!

I love acronyms and their close relatives, which are Initialisms.(My thoughts on acronyms are taking the first initial of a series of words, capitalize the resulting word and it enters our vocabulary as a new word which is descriptive of the words that formed it. Whereas an initialism is the abbreviation of a series of words, such as FBI for Federal Bureau of Investigation,, but it doesn't form an easily pronounced new word, unless you could go a stretch and use Feebie for an FBI federal agent.)

Some of my fave acronyms are.....

POTUS (po tuss) President of the United States

SCUBA Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus

SONAR Sound Navigation and Ranging

RADAR Radio Detection and Ranging

RAM Random Access Memory

NATO North Atlantic Treaty Organization

NASA National Aeronautics and Space Administration
    Last edited by Poinciana; 09-25-2016 at 07:15 PM. Reason: text color was too light and difficult to see easly.

Post Thanks / Like
    PRAYER - Prayer Releases All Your Eternal Resources

Post Thanks / Like
    Another very good acronym is NASCAR, National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing. An acronym you'll probably hear a dozen times a day around my house!

7. Likes bristol2002 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    PRAYER - Prayer Releases All Your Eternal Resources
    What an excellent example of an ACROSTIC. Very inspiring, too.

The Old Hebrew Testament is filled with acrostics, most notably Psalm 119. And Psalm 145, which is recited every day in Jewish prayers.

There is a terrific website which is primarily meant for teaching kids, but I find it a fun place to visit. How to Write an Acrostic Poem - Kenn Nesbitt's Poetry4kids.com

Have a lovely day, everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    What an excellent example of an ACROSTIC. Very inspiring, too.

The Old Hebrew Testament is filled with acrostics, most notably Psalm 119. And Psalm 145, which is recited every day in Jewish prayers.

There is a terrific website which is primarily meant for teaching kids, but I find it a fun place to visit. How to Write an Acrostic Poem - Kenn Nesbitt's Poetry4kids.com

Have a lovely day, everyone.
    Hi Poinciana,
    Can you give us an example of an acrostic in Psalm 119 and Psalm 145?

The Acrostic- Prayer - Prayer Releases All Your Eternal Resources - is in our Bible Study Book.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Poinciana,
    Can you give us an example of an acrostic in Psalm 119 and Psalm 145?

The Acrostic- Prayer - Prayer Releases All Your Eternal Resources - is in our Bible Study Book.

Jean Marie
    Thanks for sharing your source. I'm not a Hebrew scholar so I can't read the Hebrew. It is my understanding that the entire Psalm (119 and 145) are the acrostic. They are what are called alphabetic acrostics. The first word of each stanza...chapters in the rest of the Bible, but called stanzas in Psalms because each Psalm is a song .... anyway, the first words will spell out the letters in the Hebrew alphabet in their correct order. I can search for a reference for that. It would improve my memory and explain better than I can. Would you like that?
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    Thanks for sharing your source. I'm not a Hebrew scholar so I can't read the Hebrew. It is my understanding that the entire Psalm (119 and 145) are the acrostic. They are what are called alphabetic acrostics. The first word of each stanza...chapters in the rest of the Bible, but called stanzas in Psalms because each Psalm is a song .... anyway, the first words will spell out the letters in the Hebrew alphabet in their correct order. I can search for a reference for that. It would improve my memory and explain better than I can. Would you like that?
    Yes , I would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes , I would.
    This is the best I could find. I don't think it makes anything any clearer, either but the links do help somewhat.

Psalm 119 - Free Bible Commentary in Easy English

The Story of Psalm 119

Solomon was king of Israel nearly 1000 years Before Christ came to the earth (B.C.). Solomon built the house of God that was in Jerusalem. We call it "the *temple".

About 600 B.C. a nation called Babylon fought the *Jews. A nation is a country with a government. Babylon was 800 kilometres east of Jerusalem. The Babylonians won the fight and they took many *Jews to Babylon. We call this "the *exile". The Babylonians also destroyed the *temple.

After the *exile many *Jews went back to their own country. About 500 B.C. they built the *temple again. Then they made the Book of Psalms to sing in the new *temple. Some were old psalms by David, Moses and Isaiah. Other psalms were new like Psalm 1.

Psalm 119 was probably one of these new psalms. It is a very special psalm. There are 176 verses (or parts) in it. Some people think that 176 different people wrote one verse each. Other people think that Ezra wrote all Psalm 119. Ezra was a *Jewish leader about 450 B.C.

There are 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet. The *Jews spoke Hebrew, so they wrote Psalm 119 in the Hebrew language. The first letter of the Hebrew alphabet is aleph. Verses 1-8 all begin with aleph. Beth is the second letter. Verses 9-16 all begin with beth. Verses 17-24 all begin with the 3rd letter and so on. So, there are 22 times 8, or 176 verses in the psalm. We think that they did this to make it easier for them to remember the psalm. It was probably a psalm that *Jewish leaders had to remember. We have not made the verses start with the right letter in this translation. We have put the psalm into 22 groups with 8 verses in each group.
    .................................excerpted from website...link above
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Psalm 119: Praising the Law through the Alphabet
    and
    basicsofthebible.org | Psalm 119