Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Surrounded by the mountains of Vermont, USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Feeling discouraged, need a friend

Five years ago my husband lost his job thru no fault of his own. Then he got an operation to repair his urethra. He was sent home with a flesh eating disease (MRSA), almost died, abandoned by his dr. (he actually left the state). After 3 years of needing a catheter in his groin so he could empty his bladder, he went thru 3 operations to repair him. He almost died. He almost died. He almost died. The only dr. capable enough to fix him was the best urologist in the world. IN THE WORLD. He is very slowly getting better.

I have been by his side the whole time.

I am tired and wrung out. I've been trying to get a small companion dog BUT have you seen the prices? Rescues aren't muchbetter. They want $300 AND MORE for a young dog, puppies even higher priced.

I just saw an ad on Craigslist for a chihuahua who is a designated service dog trained for people with anxiety. I have written twice, no response.

Time after time I have answered such ads. Either they want lots of money or simply do not respond.

I am tired. I am worn out. I am lonely.

Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    First off~~(((Great Big Hugs))) to you and to your hubby. I can only imagine how frustrated and worn out you feel. My hubby has been in & out of the hospital a few times this yr due to his health issues, but nothing as serious as yours has been going through. I'm not on all the time and I'm new here, but I am here for you when you need a shoulder to lean on & chat with. Just give me a shout on pm & I will get back to you as soon as I possibly can.

I do know how much dogs cost~rescue & from breeders & just folks wanting to rid themselves of one. I have 9 of the rascals, 1 actual rescue (the sheepadoodle) & the rest I bought from breeders. I don't raise dogs tho, just various reasons I ended up with what I lovingly call my "wolf pack" which consists of 4 standard poodles, 1 toy poodle, 2 shih tzus, 1 pekingese & the sheepadoodle. None of mine are service dogs, but I have read how much it cost for training for them. Craigslist is a tricky place to buy from to say the least. You have to be very very careful who you deal with on it, so much scamming going on. It is sad when someone advertises and never answers to let you know if they still have the animals they advertise.

Have you checked with any of the certified state or national companion/service dog organizations? I don't know their policies on adopting, but have read about service dogs who have been donated to people through other help organizations who otherwise could never afford one. Off hand I can't remember the site names of the organizations, a Google search should bring them up. At work every yr we have a campaign we donate a certain amount each month through our paychecks to the charities of our choice. I always choose a service dog organization to donate to. Dogs are near & dear to my heart.
    Last edited by PhoenixNakia; 06-15-2016 at 06:01 AM.
    ~~De'Andrea~~

3. Likes mkp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    hey anniem-i am so sorry that you are having all them problems-hopefully things will get better -prayers are coming your way

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand what you are dealing with. My husband broke his back in 1989, his bladder wasn't working right and for 5 years he catherized himself 2 or 3 times a day. after 5 years he went to this urologist who did surgery on him 3 different times and ended up with a tube threw his stomach and he had to change it ones a month and he had a bag on his leg that his urine drained into. He got so many UTI it wasn't funny. We never did find a good urologist, I don't think they exist. My husband was in the hospital 3 or 4 times every year until he past away in 2014. So when I say I understand, I do. Doctors just aren't the same as they use to be.
    Look in your local newspaper for ads, if you can't afford a newspaper, look online for your local newspaper. Most are online. I know what it is like to be tired, lonely and worn out. Come in here and post in this section, and a lot of people will pray for you and give you encouragement. Without the people in here I never could have made it. They help all the step of the way while I was a Caregiver for my husband. God Bless you

6. Likes PhoenixNakia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Anniem. Glad to meet you. You came to the right place for encouragement and people who want to help. I haven't been here long, but the people I've met are great. A lot of us pray for each other and will be blessed to pray for you and your husband. Trust in the Lord. Tell Him what you need and how you're feeling. And be patient. He knows best. What you have been going through will strengthen you spiritually, emotionally, and in many other ways as well. Come here whenever you want to talk. Someone will get back to you. In the meantime, do you read or garden? What crochet item are you working on? Tell us something about yourself. I learned to crochet about 60 years ago. I was 10 at the time. I crochet scarves and caps for homeless or needy people.

8. Likes PhoenixNakia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    MKP, you are right the people here are great. I don't know what I would have done without them. Their prayers kept me sane. This is a great group of people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Anniem,
    said a prayer for you both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Anniem, sending (((HUGS))) your way! You are not alone, God is with you. Make "moments" that are strictly yours wonderful: taking a shower or bath(luxuriate with special scented bath products and towels), step outside to appreciate God's beauty, journal writing about things you enjoy, prepare yourself a breakfast, lunch or dinner on a tray w/pretty napkins, dinner and glassware. It is important to care for yourself. I'll keep you in my prayers. From one who understands and cares~Butterflyrose~

P.S. Contact your local pet stores to see if they will be hosting pet adoptions. An animal organization brought dogs to our local pet store for adoption. My younger daughter adopted a beautiful puppy between 6-8 weeks old in 2011. She is a "rescue" and she's so lovable and smart! We're so blessed to have her as part of our family!

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

12. Likes PhoenixNakia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey woman! You have many friends here. Hugs to you and your hubby. I have a dog that I got from a friend. He is a Chug. Part Pug and part chihuahua. He is very intuitive without training. He knows when I am stressed, depressed, stays with me if I fall. He learned that all by himself. He is now considered my companion animal. You can train them yourself or let the dog do it for you. My Pugsley is a very smart boy and has helped me immensely during the 4 years I've had him. I love that dog with all my heart and I know he loves me too! He goes everywhere with me. To the dr office, the ER and last time I was in the hospital they said he could stay with me there too! Go figure!!! Maybe put an ad in the paper asking to adopt a dog or puppy and then love them forever. Take care. Betty Radcliffe

14. Likes PhoenixNakia, MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Anniem. How are you doing? How is your husband? My husband has poison ivy. He found it growing in our backyard and decided to pull it out by the roots. He covered up well, even wore plastic gloves, but he got it anyway. It's on his wrists and knees. He says it doesn't itch. We have some kind of cream we've been putting on and we keep it bandaged which isn't easy on his knees. Please write and let us know how you're doing. Love and prayers to you - Mary