Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed Please?

I want to make some baby items for donations,but need help in what kind of yarn to use or what what kind is the best to use.
    I crochet mostly toys so I use pretty much any kind of yarn for this.the baby items will be for preemies if this helps out I'll be donating to the local hospitals here and also getting a package ready to send to Mikey from the crochet crowd for crafting for a cure. Thanks to everyone in advance for all your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    For preemies you probably should use a soft yarn. I use Caron Simply Soft for a lot of things. Or a soft baby yarn would work!I make toys but for older children. For those i use whatever yarn I have!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd suggest that you use a soft baby yarn for anything that's going to be donated.

You may want to check with the place you are donating to as some places have specific requirements as to yarn fiber content. I do know that our local hospital won't accept anything with wool in it so we generally use the cottons or the acrylic yarns.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou very much this helps me alot and I will do some checking thanks for reminding me crochetgal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there!

I use Bernat Baby Coordinates because it is Acrylic 71.2%; Rayon 25.6% and Nylon 3/2%. It is machine washable and dryable. I have had so many comments on the choice of yarn and ability to care for it which would be especially important for baby toys! I also use Bernat Softee Baby which is 100% Acrylic and machine washable and dryable. These yarns are so very soft for babies!!! Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't recommend specific brands of yarns because not all brands are readily available everywhere. For example, most Bernat yarns are not carried anywhere here in the valley, although there are a number of large yarn shops. Even the 'big box' craft shops don't carry them.

And the availability of yarns does vary from country to country as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Acrylic! whatever size yarn you need use acrylic. it is always washable and hypo allergenic. I get poly batting scraps from a friend in an upholstery shop. New pieces just scrap. Shred it up with my fingers and I have stuffing. I also embroider eyes and noses if they are for babies under 3. You don't want choking on button eyes.
    Good Luck
    Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    if you have a hobby lobby around where you live--the name is "i love this yarn". it is very soft and i have made several baby hats with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by libertylady64 View Post
    if you have a hobby lobby around where you live--the name is "i love this yarn". it is very soft and i have made several baby hats with it.
    Please be careful with "I Love This Yarn" as its a brand name and NOT a specific fiber content.

"I Love this Yarn" brand has wools, cottons and acrylics available as do most other labels.

Its for this reason that I never recommend any specific brand of yarn as its too confusing.