Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  276
    Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta tell you all that we ended up yesterday with 7 of the 8 kittens. And the momma I was feeding daily was not the one I thought she was. She is the momma of the 5 and now has 2 of the smaller litter. Just one of the littlest ones died. They buried it when they got home and found it had not lived. They are so cute! And momma cat is feeding all 7! We think the other momma got killed by a wild animal....some coyotes have been seen around there.
    I have another doctor appointment so I gotta get ready, see ya later, Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Jenn, I'm so happy to know you got your baby back! It may have been a good thing that your neighbor took her to the shelter, instead of someone else finding her, and keeping her for themselves.

Yes... you really should get her a collar tag with your phone number on it. I did that for my large standard poodle, Cody. They have a machine at Pet Smart where you can make one up yourself. I had his name put on one side, with my address and phone number on the back. Last Christmas, we were visiting my parents out of state and he opened the gate himself, and he got out. We drove all over the neighborhood calling his name. About 6 hours later a guy who lives up the street called me, at midnight. He found Cody in his backyard and put him in his garage. If Cody hadn't have had that tag on, I don't know if we would have ever found him!!!!! Our doggies are our babies!!!

Shelley
    I did get her a new tag, but now she has kennel cough. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow. I'm so upset. If I knew who took her to the shelter, I'd send them a bill.

Jenn
    ~*♡*~Tanya~*♡*~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    Hi Jean Marie, It's simply brand name yarn that is bought out by someone and re-sold with no brand label, it will say on the label only "100% acrylic", or "acrylic mill end" or whatever it is, like cotton, and you have to know the ply by looking at it or comparing it to some you have and know the ply of and maybe recognize the brand of. I've used the method I posted on my blog site a while back about how to wrap the yarn around a ruler and measure the WPI (wraps per inch), which I believe someone has made a quick tutorial video or pic step by step tutorial of how to do, to learn the ply of yarn weights, but I can tell just by looking at it now Or the generic may be made for the brand and then deemed a little less than 100% perfect and thus people won't want to pay full and sometimes expensive prices for it, but it might be 90% perfect so it works for me!

It's no different than the way generic food came about really. I've used generic yarn often and never found anything wrong with it at all, mostly acrylic or cotton, fine, worsted 4 ply or chunky. Some is plain and flat finish and some is coated shiny. It's so low priced that I had to try it and have been very pleased with the quality. You won't find it in stores or online I don't think, you have to have a warehouse /wholesaler /re-seller business who sells it as mill-end, which means like the end of a perfect roll that they feel might have imperfections, but like I said, I've never seen any. Or if you live near a yarn company, which we do have in our area, called Coats and Clark, who've been around forever, they own Red Heart Yarn and other textile labels, and they have places all over this country and the world, they often only have offices but sometimes some yarn processing or packaging plants nearby but I've not heard that they sell yarn there, or even have a store on site.

You'd be surprised who owns what yarn companies, but not as much is actually made in the US on large scale as it is in other countries, but plants like bamboo is grown for yarn production and that plant has amazing properties and is also used to make cotton for medical purposes and it grows super fast and is very earth friendly, or where silkworms are raised and cultivated for expensive silk yarn and this is controversial and not so earth friendly all the time, and many animals are raised for their fleece, and all of this is either just hand woven or machine made into yarn in other countries including being spun, woven and dyed, or left undyed, and comes to the US from other countries, and here they take it from those various states of production to become yarn. In America it becomes a certain brand if it isn't one already and made fo that company in another country, and it sometimes comes from the same source but processed differently, or blended like bamboo and silk, or bamboo and cotton, and is then sold. In the U.S. we have some large manufacturers, but it's actually more small scale farms where they sell their fleece to local individual or small businesses who have spinners, weavers and dye-ers.

The place I can buy 'generic' yarn sometimes has certain types of Lion Brand yarn in the actual LB labels, and while I've never seen any other brand labels they do have yarn I recognize, like Super Saver standard worsted weight 4 ply I've seen before like camo, solids, other variegated, and also misc Red Heart type soft shiny yarns like I bought Thurs to make my summer top. Sorry for so much info, but it's interesting to me! I believe what I'm working with on my 1st top is like RH Unforgettable, a luscious yarn!! I'm really enjoying using it! I'm still waiting to receive my Red Heart pgk that I won 2 wks ago looking forward to using that too! I've inquired about it. Have a nice weekend!
    Hey, Susan with the shining soul, don't be sorry for so much info! I think it's interesting, too, and appreciate all the effort you put into enlightening those of us involved in crochet

So, with that said I would like to send o gem of info your way for your perusal. You may already be aware of this, but just in case, if not, it's another facet of crocheting I'm sure you would like to ponder upon and add to your knowledge base.

I'll come back later and continue this... all of a sudden an incredible thunder boomer storm just descended on us and I want to shut down the computer and disconnect from the electric, etc. The lightning and thunder is mind-boggling!

I'm back. My very fave No. 1 designer is that wonderful self-proclaimed "space cadet", Doris Chan. Here is a link to her musing and talking about the yarn twist. Very informative, Susan. Enjoy . . . The Crochet Twist | Doris Chan Crochet
    Last edited by Poinciana; 07-14-2015 at 01:10 PM.

4. Likes sapphire43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Attachment 13002Ok girls, I have finally caught up thru page 80! Just a note to say I had posted somewhere about 2 mamma cats and their kittens 5 from one and 2 weeks later the 2nd one had 3. In the meantime my son and family left for a weeks vacation and left me in charge of feeding the momma cats. During that time the kittens were put together, 8 in one box and both momma cats feeding whoever is lucky. I pity the 3 little ones trying to get hold of a "bottle" (teat?). Also I think one of the mommas has had an accident with a wild animal of some sort. I haven't seen her for the last 4 days. And one day the 3 little ones were in the box by themselves and I didn't know where the 5 went to. The next day there was only 2 of the 3 in the box. I finally found (today all 8 are in an old cabinet near the boxes where they originally were before). They are laying on a black trash bag and it's too dark to see how many are there.... until today that is, and we heard them meowing. We went over and got down and reached in and they are ALL 8 there! One of the smallest ones was being pretty much crushed under a small bicycle wheel and we got that one out and then there was the 2nd one! I finally got to hold those 2 little ones and cuddle them. They are so cute! I hope the momma is feeding ALL of them. My son will be back late tomorrow evening( Sunday).

Also today was the RAIN ride. That is a Ride Across INdiana! (that's what RAIN stands for)We are waiting for them to get home now. That is a 160 mile ride one way + 10 extra miles from my house to the starting point this morning at 6:30AM. Start time was 7:00AM. Someone went over to pick them and their bikes back home. This is a yearly thing and it is a ride , not a race. It really is a good test of strength for them. My other son is here from Arkansas and rode with his brother in the ride. I haven't seen him for a year so it is good to see him. I will try to post a picture taken yesterday before they rode just for practice.
    Patty, this is so funny... my first impression when I saw the photo I thought, oh wow how did she get to France without telling us first. MY husband and I have been following the Tour de France and I thought you were over there getting your photo taken with some of the cyclists! LOL! Nice photo and two nice-looking sons you have. How long did it take for them to complete the Rain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharing a photo with you all of a cell phone pouch and a soda can cozy I made for my husband. He carries so much junk in his pockets that I felt his phone would get dinged and scratched so I made him a pouch for it and then made a can cozy with the same yarn. The yarn I used is Lily's Sugar and Cream "Desert Rising."

The cozy is not a wrap around the can type, it has a bottom to it. It's nice for when you grab a cold one out of the picnic cooler because it keeps the dripping contained and absorbed by the cotton cozy.

And, incidentally, these make nice stocking stuffers for Christmas and also are popular at yard sales, etc. Only takes one evening to make both and people do pay $10.00 for either piece, or both for $15.00.

Morning Coffee....Or Tea-pink-camo-cozy-cellphone-pouch-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Poinciana, thanks for posting the link for the article on yarn twist. It was very interesting.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Patty, I share in your frustration with your grandsons. I raised my 2 boys totally by myself, they're now 22 and 24 years old. When they were growing up, they were constantly fighting with each other. It drove me crazy!!! People say to me, oh I fought with my brother, too, but they don't have any idea what it was like living with my 2 boys LOL. I can kind of laugh about it now, but it certainly wasn't funny at the time. I was an overwhelmed single mom, and my kids fought CONSTANTLY, from the time they were toddlers. At the time, I honestly didn't think I'd survive raising them.

As they got older and became teenagers, the fighting turned into fist fights, with blood. There were many times when they'd be on the floor in the den fist-fighting, and I'd climb up on top of them screaming for them to stop. I'm only 5'2" tall and they're both 6'2 and 6'3".

I don't blame you for getting upset with your grandsons, and for not wanting them to come back to your house again and act like that. And you're right, it's very disrespectful to you. You hate to be the "mean grandma" but you've got to do what's best for you. And you can't have them tearing up your house! If they get into a fight around you, they could accidentally hurt you if you're around them. Teenage boys are strong!!!

I feel for you and I understand, I really do.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the cozy and phone wrap, Poinciana!

Post Thanks / Like
    Poinciana, the can cozy and phone case are both awesome! I think it's totally wonderful that you're able to sell some of them at yard sales, $10-15 is a great price! Good job!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Patty I am sorry they acted like that to you. It would have done them good --a nice hard slap.