Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

How do you de-stress?

I feel completely overwhelmed. My husband has surgery on September 8th. They found a large mass on his thyroid, only 2% chance it it cancer but he is so overweight it scares me. I just had a nerve block on my back, fractured it in three to five places 8 years ago, in so much pain I can't walk or drive. Have three new fractures and spinal stenosis. Dr can't decide what to do to ease the pain, the block helped a little but not enough. Have a party in 4 weeks at my house for my 5 year old God daughter. Frozen theme, can't focus to plan it out. Can't even figure out something to crochet. I have enough stash to do a lot of different projects, none of them even interest me. Crocheting is usually my go to for stress relief, but even trying to think up a project is s stressing me. I don't have anything I have to crochet, no gifts, anything will be put up as a future gift or donated. I know a lot of people have it worse off than I do and I feel bad for even complaiing. Thanks for listening, venting helped a bit.

Debbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Have you thought about doing some really simple and quick crochet projects to get you started? What other things do you like to do which would help you destress?

Sending thoughts and prayers your way!

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like I've done a lot of different things, scrapbooking, making hairbows, ribbons, reading , even did coloring for a month. Not a lot I can do mobility wise. I want to clean my house, my bedroom,, organize it, it is driving me crazy but that isn't going to happen. Maybe it is more frustration not being able to do what I want than stress. I have things to do, decorate the party bags, print out invitations, cut snowflakes, things for the party but I can't pull the party together completely in my mind or on paper so I don't want to do those things. I don't know what's wrong with me right now.
    Last edited by debbie67; 08-28-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Debbie,
    Relax and if you feel like crocheting there was someone on here who said they were crocheting 8 inch squares for Africa. or maybe you can donate squares or blankets near you. Sorry you're not feeling well. Can the doctor freeze your back or don't they do that? I don't know. I'm just asking. I don't know if doctors do that or not or if it's a good thing to do or not. Can they fuse the bones together? If they do either of these you might not be able to move your back. Will watching t.v. help you to relax? what about talking on the phone? will that help you to relax? Can you visit someone or maybe go to a hospital or nursing home and volunteer to help you relax? These are just thoughts.
    Jean

Post Thanks / Like
    I am disabled and have problems with my back and other health problems, plus have had a lot going on with my young grandson lately. I just read, go out in my pool and just sit or float in the water, do different crafts, play games on my computer, sit outside on the porch and read, visit the neighbor across the street, tend my garden, and pet my dogs, or just sit and watch tv. Some weekend if there is a good yard sale i will go to some of them. Sometimes I just meditate on wonderful and beautiful things to get my mind off of things. My crafting helps me mostly especially crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I myself have a lot health problems. I have De Generative disease. Scoliosis, and MS. My doctor told me to a nice warm bubble bath if my meds weren't doing their job. It does help. You and your husband will be in my prayers that all be alright. Blessings, Debbie T.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. First of all, don't ever feel like you are complaining. It is good to vent and just know that people care and understand. At some point, in all our lives, we run into difficult situations and by the grace of God, things have a habit of working out.

I de-stress differently. My health situation is a tad different than others so I de-stress by walking nearly every day. But my crocheting is what has gotten me through some tough times (past 15 years have been extremely emotional and difficult) and I focus then on charity projects. Every one de-stresses in a different way, it is whatever they feel helps them at that particular time. There are some days I do more, some less. But I take each day at a time. I like to read or check out things online, reorganize things (sometimes just looking through my crochet and knit books relaxes me. The important thing to remember is that de-stressing is individual. But I hope we have given you some insight.

Thinking of your husband and you during this time and sending good wishes and prayers your way.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt I can really help as I look at life differently than most. That being said I'll babble on... Sorry about your husband's problem. When I was told I had a breast lump I decided to wait to worry-if it was benign I would worry for nothing--if it was cancer worrying wouldn't help anyway. As for the party just do what you can. There is a very easy crochet snowflake at redheart.com . Perhaps as it is simple and quick you could start there. Make some flakes in any shade of blue you have to go with white ones. Poly-fil stuffing makes great snow. How about some Xmas lights in the fil on a mantel,table,etc.? As for gifts-how about gift cards from bookstore or craft store? In a pretty box with the fake snow and snowflakes on top it would be special. Just trying to help with a few ideas. As for de-stressing I take meds for that but find reading an old book or watching fave TV shows over again takes me away without much brain effort. You will make it thru-somehow we do....... As I don't pray (I am an agnostic) I will hold you in my heart and thoughts. And let us admit that life sucks at times!! A warm hug coming your way-imalefty

9. Likes AuntieAlice, cablestitches liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention in my other post that you and your husband are both in my prayers. God is in control and I know He will heal him and give you peace and comfort and take away all the stress that you are going through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Debbie: I agree with everyone who has written. My first thought is to perhaps ask someone to help with the party, doing the gift bags and decorations. The 2nd thought is perhaps having someone come in to help with the housework and getting ready for the party. Sometimes I just sit and read a bit, play Candy Crush on my phone, and do a few rows of crochet. For some reason that really helps relax me. I also like to play Free Cell on the computer or just surf Etsy! I am not a great one to give advice because if I did not have something to worry about I made something up!!!! Perhaps have someone pick up a few new skeins of yarn for you to start a brand new project with brand new yarn!!! Good luck.

12. Likes crochetdiva liked this post