Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Spring Gardening

Please stop by and share about your gardens...tips, ideas, planting and all the excitement that gardening brings. Spring is here!.

Kindness begets kindness. Enjoy life!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've cleaned one flower garden and thankfully, most of the dusty miller survived the elements of winter. Only a few of the plants were lost. The purple queen has poked its head through the earth. Oh, this gives me an opportunity to replace these dusty millers with a different plant! What will it be? The gladiola leaves are tall and green,soon they will be in bloom. In another garden, the yellow lilies are blooming in all their magnificence. I am so excited about spring flower gardening, not to mention ; I also must prepare for vegetable gardening too!lol

Post Thanks / Like
    In my area, the last danger of frost is mid-May so I will be waiting till then. Though, I usually plant around Mothers Day and never had a problem with frost. Last night, the rain came down and the temps dropped so much, there was frost and ice all over. It is mid 40's now (a little below normal temps) and most of it is gone.

I did put out my empty planters in their usual spaces to get an idea of how many flats and veggies and herbs I need to get this year. I can't wait till I can plant, it has been a long winter and we need spring!!!!

Roe

4. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Butterflyrosr, we finished the flower beds and the garden this past weekend then it went down to 25 this am so yesterday to prepare we had to put tarps sheets whatever on the garden and flower beds!! My daughter said it never gets cold this late well quests what?? It did!! Just praying the garden makes it! We have gladiolus, daffodils, hyacinths, dianthus and pansies in flower beds then bigger plants on the patio and most of the herbs. At the back of the house we have tomato, strawberries, and more herbs and in the garden we have squash, zucchini, beets, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, potatoes I think that's everything!! Anxious to see how everything does. Hope your garden goes really good for you :-) (((hugs))) Winnie

6. Likes Butterflyrose, Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Roe, you have a plan too! Yes, this winter, I've gone through my seed packets more than once and planne d my gardens.
    I'll be so happy when you can start planting too!

Hello Winnie! Your gardens sound beautiful! Have any of your flowers bloomed yet? If so, what colors are displaying?

Post Thanks / Like

Spring Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyrose View Post
    Hello Roe, you have a plan too! Yes, this winter, I've gone through my seed packets more than once and planne d my gardens.
    I'll be so happy when you can start planting too!

Hello Winnie! Your gardens sound beautiful! Have any of your flowers bloomed yet? If so, what colors are displaying?
    Yes we have pink, yellow, blue and lilac hyacinths. Two different shades of pink and a red dianthus, white with yellow centers and all yellow pansies. Gladiolus will take a while yet. My daughter had a spring party about the 21st and is always hoping every thing will be blooming she said it usually is but this will be my first spring and summer here in Va so I am excited. We have blue birds!! Of course they are in Ky but I don't think a lot cause we would only see them way out in the country once in a while. If I can ever figure out how to post pics I will post some flowers!! Hope your gardens grow beautifully this year too. (((Hugs))) Winnie

9. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have gardens filled with beauty! Oh, a garden party sounds lovely. I love social events , please share the details about/after the party. Looking forward to seeing pics! Thank you for the well wishes for my gardens too! 'Til next time we "garden share."(((Hugs)))
    Last edited by Butterflyrose; 04-23-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Moved to Vacaville, Ca, now in Sacramento
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just getting garden ready. Mulched and fed plot before the rain so now getting rid of last years freebies and weeds. Planting next week. Found a new idea. I have some concrete blocks with the two holes in them weighing down an antennea. I turned them so the holes are up and down. I put a coffee filter in each hole and filled with soil. I put my herbs in them. It is really handy near my kitchen. They are doing fine so far.

12. Likes Butterflyrose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great way to plant herbs Aeaston! Please keep us informed of their progress and how you're using them in meals, medicinally or as fragrances.

I plan to plant some gladiola bulbs and cantaloupe seeds in the above mentioned garden to fill in the empty spaces. Planted cantaloupe seeds there another year among the flowers with success!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping to start planting this week!