Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Caron's Simply Soft yarn splitting

I'm making a shawl for charity using CSCY but it is splitting when I double treble so bad that it is making it difficult to crochet. I have used it to knit but it didn't split or I didn't notice it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always have problems with Caron Simply Soft splitting. I had some real old Simply Soft Yarn and it didn't split. But back then it was made in USA and now it is made in Turkey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crabtree, I also had the Carron Simply Soft split on me. I was hoping to get some yarn out of the closet and was making pot holders. I finally got another skein of some thing and finished the pot holder. I was in a hurry to get 8 done for Christmas Stockings. And I had to keep ripping it out SO there wasn't snags I like a lot of the other yarns from Carron, tho. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    As MeerKat posted, I really liked the old Simply Soft and still have a nice stash of it. It was a pleasure to use. The new version of it gets splitty very quickly but I've solved that problem, for myself, by lessening the tension on my stitches, especially the 'taller' stitches like double trebles and the splitty goes away.

Don't mind me... I'm editing by playing with the font colors.
    Last edited by Poinciana; 04-11-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    It may help if you switch to a different type or brand of hooks. I use different shaped hooks (the hook end itself) depending on the type of yarn I'm using. The Boye and Susan Bates brands have completely different shaped hooks. When you're buying crochet hooks look at the end. It makes a big difference for me.

Shelley