Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone!

Good day to all! I'm happy to be a part of this group. I hope to learn a lot from this forum and at the same time share my own experiences with the craft of crocheting.

I am happily married with 2 sons, but it was only last year when I started crocheting again after more than 20 years of not practicing this craft. Nevertheless, I think it's still an opportune time to be able to re-learn this art, and create more practical projects out of plain yarns and threads. No, I don't think that crocheting is a forgotten craft. It's just a dormant knowledge which most women know, but which needs to be recalled and re-invented to let it adapt to the times.

Happy crafting everyone!
    Last edited by giftedchild; 10-07-2011 at 04:57 AM.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi giftedchild
    welcome among us. I hope you will have a great time here and that we'll learn a lot from each other. Crocheting is indeed a versatile craft and it only takes some imagination and talent to adapt it to the trends.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome giftedchild,

Wow, twenty years of taking a break! I took a break of about 12 years. I have recently started again with refreshing my skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Welcome giftedchild,

Wow, twenty years of taking a break! I took a break of about 12 years. I have recently started again with refreshing my skills.
    Hi Barbi! Yes indeed, that was a LOOOONNNNGGGG break! It was more like I had to take care of my family first, then work in a private firm, then attend to chores, etc., hence I lost track of time and the time to devote to my hobbies. At this time, I really welcome the break (of keeping my hands busy with crochet) every time I find my work-at-home job too stressful or pressuring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

I can indentify with that break. I also took a 20 year hiatus from crocheting and knitting until 2006. The thing I love is that crocheting is a lot like riding a bicycle- once you have learned it it is not hard to pick up again.

Yours in yarn

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed, a lot of things, if you pause from them, you tend to need a lot of refreshing of skills to be able to do them naturally again. Not with crochet though! crochet is easy to take up anytime you want, even if the break has been very long.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello ladies,

It is true, sometimes taking a break from something require you to refresh your skills. Many times, the skills will come back to you rather quickly. I have said "Oh Yeh." I remembered! I did not forget as much as I thought. With my time right now, I am having to learn to hold my crochet hook in a comfortable position.

This could be partly due to the time that I have been away from crocheting. It can also be due to the fact that I had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands since then. Thankfully, I do not have any challenges with my hands, now!