Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hello All. Also, please help.

Hi All. My name is Donna and I have been reading your newsletter for a while now. I'm a little shy about corresponding on-line but I think you people are great. I do have a problem I don't know how to solve. I crochet with thread and love it. I have a problem finding a quality crochet thread in #10 in white. I use lots of colors by Aunt Lydia Classic and it has a nice feel and slides through the hook very well. However the white color is kind of "dry" and "stiff" and I have to struggle with every stitch. Have any of you had this problem, and if so, what brand of white thread do you recommend? A lady and the craft store asked me to make her a vintage doily in white and I don't want to disappoint her. I crochet at a high intermediate level but can't seem to do anything right with my current white thread selection. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Likes amanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Donna and welcome to our little group. I wish I could help with your dilemma with the thread however I do not use thread that often. Good luck I am sure someone that uses thread will be around to answer.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MsBhaven. Thank you for welcoming me and replying to my question. You're right, if you don't use thread it's not possible help with this problem. I look forward to corresponding with you and other crochet lovers. Since I've retired I've spent many hours creating nice things and remembering my mother and grandmother doing the same thing. It's such a joy to take thread (or yarn) and turn it into something beautiful.

5. Likes buggainok, imj9scrochetj9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Donna, I don't crochet very often with thread, and when I do, I have also used Aunt Lydia. I've done things like crocheted edging on dishtowels, etc.

I looked around online, and found that lots of folks highly recommend DMC Cebelia thread as a very high quality thread. Here is a link to buy it at Walmart. If they don't have it in your local store, you can order online, and they will ship it to your local store for pick up with no shipping charge:

DMC Cebelia Crochet Cotton: Crafts : Walmart.com

PS Glad you are joining in and posting. It can seem intimidating at first, but this is the most friendly group of people who make everyone feel welcome.
    Last edited by buggainok; 10-12-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Annette

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
    Dalai Lama

Post Thanks / Like
    When My Sis was alive she and I made angels,decorated tree balls and did doilies. We used the Cebelia. It has a good even feel about it. I did a lot of doilies in #20. I had trouble getting it here in Texas but she could get it at a small knitting shop in Greeley, Colo. I had to clean out her apartment when she died last year and she still had a lot of it in a box. I had directions for a shawl in a #5. That is got me puzzled, 4 is a good thread for afghans ,3 is sport/baby yarn, #10 is doily thread Where does #5 fit in? Margaret in South Texas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! I crochet a lot of doilies from #30 thread... I can say Cebelia brand is the best but expensive. These are like silk and it s pleasure to crochet from them and they look perfect. There are white and bright white colors
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the crochet message boards! Make yourself at home here and let us know if you need any more assistance! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    buggainok; Thank you so much. I will definitely take your advice. I remember using Cebelia at some time in the long past. Nobody seems to carry it around here, but so many stores only carry enough thread to make a tiny display. I'll just let Walmart get it for me. Thanks again. Donna

11. Likes buggainok liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Texas Transplant: Thank you for your reply. Gosh I'm so sorry that you lost your sister. I have two older sisters who are both my best friends and love them dearly.

I've tried size 20 and 30 in the past and say you must really be very talented to use it. My eyes and arthritic hands can't seem to work it evenly.

As to size 5 thread, I have one ball of it. It seems to be about the size of the fingering sock yarn but not fuzzy like yarn. It's a good size for shawls. I believe you'll need an aluminum hook for it in size D E or F, depending on the pattern. Sooooo, I'd say it's kind of between a yarn and a thread. I bought it to crochet a larger version of a size 10 pattern, which I haven't had time yet to try. Good luck with your shawl. Donna D of Northeast Ohio

Post Thanks / Like
    kl1000; Thank you for your reply. As I told Texas transplant, you really need talent to use the size 30 thread. I envy you. I've received several replies recommending Cebelia brand that I'll definitely buy some. Donna D