Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: yarn winder

Post Thanks / Like

yarn winder

Hello I'm looking to buy a yarn winder so if any one that might have one or know a place I can fine one please pm thanks wenda

2. Likes kathym2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought mine from Ebay and they were much cheaper than anywhere else. I have an electric one and a hand one and a swift also but I haven't used them much lately. I like to use the yarn from the middle and it doesn't tangle as much like that.

4. Likes kathym2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    yes eBay is your best bet to buy one. They are pretty expensive otherwise. I have the hand crank one and just love it...but i only use it on yarn that isn't center pull.

6. Likes kathym2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So what one would you say that would be good to use on the one pounder yarn because that is how I buy my yarn thanks wenda

8. Likes kathym2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can't pull from the center then winding is one way but with that much yarn you will be making several balls since they don't hold all that much on each roll. I like my electric better but the manual is easier to use. Good luck and remember Ebay is a LOT cheaper. I ordered a swift and a manual winder from red heart I believe and it was $100 and then I went on Ebay and got both for less than $50.

10. Likes kathym2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello wenda. Do you use the 1 pound that pulls from the center or from the outside? I may have an idea using the Knit n Spin for putting a pound of yarn onto it and using it that way. I have 2 one pounders that my daughter in law bought for me to make a baby blanket for her sister. I know I could wind some on a regular foam yarn spinner, cut the yarn and wind more on another foam spinner, etc, until the one pounder was all wound on foam spinners. I might have an idea that would be able to hold a whole one pound. Let me know how you pull the yarn and I will experiment and let you know the results. HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

12. Likes N/A, kathym2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about buying a yarn winder last year, and I got a lot of great input from other members here who have one. I priced them and like the others have said here, you can't beat eBay's prices. After researching it, I didn't buy one because I really don't need it right now. Most of the yarn I use pulls from the center, which usually works out. I have found that the softer, fuzzier yarn doesn't pull so easily from the center and I can end up with a huge mess on my lap. I decided I'd purchase one that is more like a stand that will hold my skein of yarn and unwind it from the outside as I crochet.

Here's the one I plan to buy on eBay and it's only $17.99 with free shipping. For me, personally, it fits my needs. It will also hold more than one skein for when I'm using different colors.

Yarn Wool Winder Unwinder ®

By the way, I also buy the one pound skeins for some of my projects, and I've never had a problem with it pulling from the center. For me, it would be a lot of extra work to wind it. Good luck!

14. Likes mash52, seashells_Shelly, Dustygirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a pretty cool item!! Great if you are not traveling with your yarn. I take mine to go with me alot so that would not work very good in the vehicle but great for home.
    Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dustygirl, have you checked out my post in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for the Knit n Spin? I take mine nearly everywhere if I might have waiting time. I just pop it into a small tote and off I go. I can keep the Knit n Spin in the tote if I want and just pull out my hook and project and keep working away. Susan MJ has one and she can tell you how she feels about hers.
    BTW, I love the saying at the bottom part of your posts. It is just so true. Have a wonderful evening. If you have any questions, you can ask or PM me and ask. GB and HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

17. Likes Dustygirl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelly My yarn pull from the outside sorry it has took me so long to get back with you but I have been under the weather with my muscular dystrophy thanks wenda