Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Where to start?

Post Thanks / Like

Where to start?

My sister and I spent countless hours with our hooks and thread for xmas making animals and scarves. I found a new love for projects with the scarves for they work up rather quickly and so many patterns to choose from! All the females (lots of them) in the family loved them. Now on to making a few for myself.
    As a grandmother and great grandmother (19 total) I have a dream and goal to make baby afghans for each of them to have for their first borns. Although it will be years for them to start their own families, I want to leave a piece of love from me to each of them. No idle time in front of the tv..will always have needle and thread in hand!

2. Likes Theresa L, rack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ckhdge,

Good morning! Are you looking for baby afghan patterns to use of the future grandbabies?

If so, here are a few to take a look at:

Crochet Pattern Central - Free Baby Afghan Crochet Pattern Link Directory

| Red Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you ckhdge,

I made everyone in my family afghans a couple years ago. May I make one suggestion to you before you get started. Baby afghans are wonderful, but the child out grows them so quickly. Have you given any thought to making larger afghans that the children of your families future will be able to use long after they have outgrown a baby size?

I made large afghans for each of my family members, a total of 14 with the one I made for a childhood friend. I used the same stitch in each of them which was a shell stitch. I love the stitch, but it did get rather boring after a while. The larger afghans could be used as a pallet on the floor until the baby is larger too.

I made all the boys in Red Hearts camo yarn and changed up the colors for the girls. I do realize you don't know if there will be boys or girls, but a nice neutral will always work and then add a little color to make it pop. Just a thought. Please let us know what you decide on. I do love to hear what others are working on.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    good morning Judi

That is certainly a thought. I'm currently working on two blankets, one white that really sets off the design the other a varigated yellow/green/white. Since I don't work "in secret" family members that have seen them are asking for them now...lol. Some of my grand children are asing for one for themselves so I have no shortage of projects. For me, I'm constantly looking at different patterns and with the endless possibilities of combinations of colors, I'll end up with quite a stash of ideas to bring to reality.
    I also sew and have made many nursery room bedding/organizers/curtain sets. I so enjoy "crafting" something every year for family xmas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ckhdge,
    Your blanket sounds very pretty. I love all the wonderful colors that are now available to us. You will be kept busy for a log time getting all those project completed. Keep us undated on what you are working on. I find it gives me inspiration learning about others projects.
    I am in need of a new sewing machine at this time. Mine is so old and just can't go on any longer, but I do love to sew for the house too. I never liked sewing clothing so much, but I love making curtains and other household items.

Happy stitching,
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    leaving a blanket for their first borns is a wonderful idea! No doubt you are a wonderful G'ma!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I made fancy, keepsake type of blankets for my four grandchildren. Pretty, but impractical. I like the idea of making larger blankets for the kids. Then the would have gotten more use lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I made my family afghans I used the shell stitch in the back loop only. They turned out lifted up a little bit but it also allowed a little air to get through. My grand daughter says hers doesn't keep her warm enough, I told her it is because she is always picking it up at one end and letting the rest of it hang which pulls the openings larger. I told her I would make her a basket weave one next, they stay good and tight. Kids just don't listen, but what can ya do.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know where I can find a pattern here that I saw about 2 wks ago. I don,t remember where I saw it. It was a hat, I think for a child or teen. Made in up & down rowa. She was using scraps & making each row a different color. The only thing shw complained about was having to tuck in so many ends on the bottom of the hst. Someone wrote & said "why not make 2 rows of each color. Then all the ends will be at the top so when yousew it together you gather the top & fix it kuke a tassle.Didn't copy it & can't remember where I saw it. Can anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your goal is very commendable ckhdge. I made baby afghans for my own children and have saved the blankets for them. I will definitely make them for my grandchildren as well...only 1 so far!