Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Would this be a good beginner baby blanket pattern?

So...I have a 10yr old daughter and one of her friends that is frequently at my house seemed very interested in my crochet projects. She got some yarn and a hook and I said I would teach her. This made my daughter want to learn too and I have been working with them both and am very proud of their progress. Seeing them learn so easily made another neighbor girl want to learn as well and so I started working with her too. I think they all three have the basics down pretty well and have each made scarf to practice these stitches and though they may be a bit wavy from adding or skipping a stich or two now and then, they are very proud and ready to move on to reading a pattern and making a real project. My daughter and her friend want to make a hat and I found a simple pattern with a J hook and dc so that it will work up rather quickly (since the one problem we have had is that these girls are all about instant gratification and not very patient ) . The neighbor girl would like to make a baby blanket for her little niece/nephew that is due in May. I thought I would start her out with a v-stitch blanket? Does that sound like a plan? Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Here is a very easy crochet baby blanket pattern:

How to Crochet a Simple Baby Blanket | eHow.com

The only stitch required is the single crochet stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    How interesting for you!
    It's nice to have so many interested in learning!
    I think the V stitch would make a great "lacy" blanket, however, I might be tempted to go for the full shell stitch myself since I like that stitch better but you are in a better position to judge the girls capabilities than I.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the ideas. I found a couple of other possible patterns. I think I will just show these ideas to her, maybe let her try a few rows out and decide for herself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi skynclls,

How funny you suggested the V stitch for the afghan as that is exactly what I was thinking of as I was reading. It is a pretty stitch that works up quickly. I am sure she would love it. The last skinny scarf I made for my grand daughter was a V stitch with a sc just before and just after the V.

Good going on getting the girls interested in crocheting. One of my grand daughters friends showed some interest in it and I sat down with her one day to teach her, but she soon lost interest. To bad, I love to see the young girls getting interested in crochet or knitting.

Happy stitching,
    Judi G