Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help With Gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Help With Gauge

Hi,
    I am hoping someone can help me understanding gauge.
    I am making a Mosaic Scarf pattern that I obtained from allfreecrochet.
    the Gauge states 14sc = 4 inches. This I understand, but it then states 1 pattern repeat = 4 1/2". Here's where my problem begins.
    The pattern starts with chain 155 and then goes through 9 rows with each row having different stictches etc. I am assuming rows 1-9 = 1 pattern? Is that assumption correct?
    To obtain the correct gauge, do I need to put on the 155 chains and then follow rows 1 to 9 and then measure? Or is there some way I can measure the gauge without having to do the entire 155 stiches?
    I hope there is an easier way, since I'd hate to finish 9 rows of 155 and then have to start again to get the correct gauge and then perhaps again if it still didn't measure correctly.
    I'm sure this sounds very basic to many of you, but I guess I'll never learn if I don't ask, so any help you could provide me with, I'd appreciate.
    Thank you,
    Janie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Janie,

I have am not as experienced as some in guaging projects. I hope this will help you to understand:

Beginner Crochet. How to measure gauge for patterns.

How to Gauge Crochet Stitches | eHow.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Barbara. This is a good article, but again it talks more about 6st = so many inches and I understand that. It is the part of my pattern that says "1 pattern repeat" that is confusing me.
    You are always very helpful though Barb, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not the pro you need answering this question either however I did find an article that I thought was helpful here:
    Crochet and Knitting Yarn FAQ

I would think you need to do a test swatch 4" by 4 1/12 inches (or more in order to complete the pattern rather than casting on all of your stitches and make adjustments in hook size from there.

Q.
    How do I measure gauge for knitted patterns?
    A.

Most knitting patterns and some crochet patterns will tell you to make a swatch (test piece) using the stitch pattern called for in the project. For instance, some knitting patterns may say to cast on a certain number of stitches and work a certain number of rows in the specified pattern. When bound off and smoothed out on a flat surface, the piece should measure the size specified in the pattern.

The pattern may say "20 stitches and 24 rows = 4 inches stockinette stitch." To make this test piece, use the size needles the pattern directs you to use and cast on 20 stitches. Work 20 rows in stockinette stitch (alternating knit and purl rows). After 20 rows have been completed, bind off. Lay the piece flat on a table and measure the width and length. If you knit to the designer's gauge, your piece should measure 4 inches wide and 4 inches tall.

If your pattern instructions don't say to knit a test swatch, you can measure the stitches and rows by using the method below for measuring crochet gauge.Q.
    What if my stitch gauge matches, but not my row gauge?
    A.

Of the two, the stitch gauge is more important. In a sweater pattern, for example, most patterns will tell you to work so many inches to the underarm, then so many inches to the neckline shaping. In this case, it doesn't matter if your row gauge is a bit off since you're working in inches.

Row gauge becomes very important, however, when complicated stitch patterns repeat after so many rows, such as a 10-row pattern repeat. If the designer specifies that the shaping must take place at a certain row and your row gauge is very different from the pattern gauge, the shaping will not be done at the proper time, which means your garment may not fit properly.

In most cases, though, if you can match the stitch gauge, your row gauge shouldn't be too far off.