Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Post New at this site

Hello everyone,
    I just found this site. Crocheting has been something I have loved to do for 50+ years. Live in Wis, DH and I raise suri alpacas, have a large garden to tend also. Looking forward to enjoying this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the group,It must be interest raising Alpacas. I know nothing about them, tell us a little about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeerKat View Post
    Welcome to the group,It must be interest raising Alpacas. I know nothing about them, tell us a little about them.
    They are wonderful, gentle, intelligent animals, and they produce the most luscious fiber. I learned to spin a year ago, and just love spinning the alpaca fiber. Alpacas were imported from South America in the 1980's & 90's. This country is just now getting into using more and more of their fiber. We have 21 animals now, with 2 more babies (cria) due in July. We hope to sell some of the younger ones as breeding stock, and we sell their fiber to spinners; and have some made into yarn. I crochet and knit with it also. New at this site-100_7842-jpg I have attached a picture of one of our crias, born 6-18. His name is Apollo.

4. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to CT. We have several farms close to us that raise alpacas. You are a busy lady!!! Would love to see some of your work made from the fibers. Apollo is so sweet!! Shirley

Post Thanks / Like
    He is a little cutie, Is Alpaca Fiber like wool? I have seen some Yarn online that says they are Alpaca, I bet it is intersting spinning your own yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeerKat View Post
    He is a little cutie, Is Alpaca Fiber like wool? I have seen some Yarn online that says they are Alpaca, I bet it is intersting spinning your own yarn.
    Alpaca is different from wool in that it softer (usually) and non-allergenic. It doesn't have any lanolin, and each individual fiber is smooth rather than barbed like wool. Sometimes the chemicals that are used to get rid of the lanolin in the commercial process cause allergic reactions too. Sheep wool that is home-processed usually doesn't use harsh chemicals.
    It is so wonderful to spin the yarn from the fiber that I cleaned, washed and carded. And sometimes I dye it also.

8. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the group! It is a pleasure to meet you! This is a great place to be and everyone is so nice as well as helpful! Please make yourself right at home here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! I live in Europe! What a wonderful animals you have! I saw then in Zoo - may be 2-3 of them. I make doilies too
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Pa. I also enjoying crocheting