Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Hi from LI Roe

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hi from LI Roe

Just registered today and looking forward to getting to know everyone. I am a retired widow, took an early retirement enhancement package at the ripe old age of 47 (am 61 now) and love being retired.

I have been crocheting since I was a pre-teen, my mom (who just passed away in Oct 2012 at age 93) taught me and neither one of us ever thought it would become such a lifelong passion.

I do a lot of crocheting for charitable organizations as well as personal gifts. Currently, I am working on afghans for a baby shower a friend holds each year in February for families in need and unwed mommies for her church. So far I have seven done, one almost completed and starting another one, want at least a dozen. I like to have multiple projects going at the same time. I also like to do hats, scarves, basically anything.

I am originally from Brooklyn, NY, now live on Long Island.

Take care.

LI Roe

2. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, howdie and welcome; that's neat, I have never heard of a shower like that and I like that...happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a wonderful idea for the less fortunate! I just love to hear about things like that, it warms the soul. I'm glad you decided to join us here too, there are lots and lots of great people!
    My mother had taken early retirement in her 50's and took care of my grandmother until she passed away at 93. Now I take care of my mother who is 84 at present and in better health than I am LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Welcome to the crochet community! It is always nice to hear about different ways people crochet for charity! Thanks for joining us and we look forward to learning more about you and your crochet projects!

Post Thanks / Like
    HI LI Roe, welcome to crochet talk! I was born in Massapequa Park, is that far from where you are? The baby shower idea is wonderful, I would love to share it with the church here in my area. I think they may want to start something like that here. I hope you don't mind. -janine

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Li Roe! It s nice to meet you! I am Larisa from Europe. I crochet doilies
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and Welcome my dear friend---So happy you joined us
    You'll love it

Hestoria

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the group and happy crocheting
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

[QUOTE=imj9scrochetj9;86328]HI LI Roe, welcome to crochet talk! I was born in Massapequa Park, is that far from where you are? The baby shower idea is wonderful, I would love to share it with the church here in my area. I think they may want to start something like that here. I hope you don't mind. -janine[/QUOTE]

Hi Janine,

Massapequa Park is the next town over from me. If you were familiar with Southern State, I am just off Exit 30S, I often walk to the Sunrise Mall and go through Massapequa Park, sometimes taking the back roads, sometimes Sunrise Hwy.

I don't mind at all if you adopt the idea for a baby shower for your church. I just know my friends' church doesn't have an outreach, it is a small church, so they do this once a year and anything is accepted, diapers, clothing, car seats, you name it, they take it. I found, on clearance, $1 clothing at Walmart of Garanimals and Faded Glory and stocked up on whatever they had. Even found little stretchy hats for 25 cents and will be crocheting little appliques like hearts,flowers, sports (footballs, etc) to put on them to kick them up a notch. They also give out items for adults and older children since there are so many families in need right now. The only requirement for them is that the people coming in need to be referred by a social worker. I thought the families came in but they have representatives from different churches who come and select what they need and then they distribute it. But everyone does it differently, it is however your church wants to handle it. I am delighted that the idea can spread.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes.As soon as I figure out how to post pictures (I take pics of everything I have done over the years) I will start posting.

Had a rainy day today, little by little I am actually organizing the tons of yarn I have into containers for each color. I tend to throw things in and then spend more time trying to find stuff, LOL. Did some more today, will go back to crocheting later on.

Have a great day, see ya soon.

LI Roe

11. Likes imj9scrochetj9 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Nice to have you with us