Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Have you ever experienced Hand/Thumb CRAMPS while crocheting?

Since I've been a bit rusty recently, I have only started to crochet again around a week or two ago. Now I've noticed that after a few strokes, my whole right hand starts to cramp to the point that I have to stop what I'm doing and close - open my hand and exercise my fingers. Also this morning, I noticed that when I bend my thumb it hurts a bit.

So I just want to know if you experience the same whenever you crochet. How long and how often do you experience this? What do you do when you feel it? Is there medicine or a hand exercise for this?

I'm asking this so that I know. I don't want to freak out or panic tomorrow coz I wasn't informed. Thank you dears!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that happens to me too. I bought this thing at a crafts store that is like a glove but with open fingers. It's a compression glove that works like support pantyhose. Ever since I started using it while crocheting or even doing other needlework, it has helped tremendously!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drice1976 View Post
    Yes, that happens to me too. I bought this thing at a crafts store that is like a glove but with open fingers. It's a compression glove that works like support pantyhose. Ever since I started using it while crocheting or even doing other needlework, it has helped tremendously!
    Thanks so much! I will seriously try that. It hurts whenever I bend my thumb. I doubt that craft stores here have that so I will go to Sports stores probably they have something like that there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never had cramps, but I've gotten a sore wrist and tingling in my fingers. I was actually diagnoses with carpal tunnel, and was told to wear a brace when I have symptoms to help take the pressure off that nerve. You could find something at a drug store, if you aren't near a sports or craft store!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard about carpal tunnel and I pray to God that I will never have it. I use the computer a lot plus I crochet. I'm even scared to read about the symptoms if you have carpal tunnel coz I might get paranoid about it and might have a psychological effect on me coz of the cramps that I'm having. LOL. Anyway, I hope your hand gets better Nellie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worry about carpal tunnel also and arthritis. I don't use a mouse anymore but use the keypad on my laptop so I'm hoping that is going to help? However, arthritis does run in my family so there is always that possibility. I would be lost without a way to use my hands!

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never experienced cramps but what I did experience is stiffness in my fingers if I take up crochet after a while of not doing any. I don't do anything else about it but take a break
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I do get hand cramps when I crochet and knit. Sometimes it happens when I hold my yarn with too much tension or when working with very fine yarn. I also use my hands a lot on the computer- so I have to make sure I stretch my hands. Here is a link to some great exercises to do to help with that Berroco® Handeze® Massage Glove Stop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been blessed not to have that problem yet, although it is something I worry about as I get older. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't crochet or do other needlework.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually do have carpal tunnel, in both hands. In addition to doing hand exercises and stretches, I remember to take breaks while I am crocheting or knitting and when using the computer. I try to avoid marathons

11. Likes Barbara G. liked this post