Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Crafters Malls or Fairs?

I've always wanted to sell my creations at local crafters malls and fairs, however I've been intimidated at actually doing it. Have any of you ever done it? What is some advice you can give to someone who hasn't done it before? What have you noticed usually sells the most?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done a craft fair before. I can't really say what sells well and what doesn't, since every shopper and fair is different. I did well with hair accessories and baby things. I also worked on a project while I waited, and people seemed really interested in what I was doing.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a great idea than to work at a project while waiting for customers, that is sure to attract people even if it's just to have a look at what you are doing.
    For my part, I never sold at a fair myself but only made cards for my husband's family that needed them for giving away on birthdays and mother's day. I used to live in the Netherlands and there, they had lots of craft fair or simply craft stalls at the market; I used to enjoy strolling among them.
    I think practical items could sell better than just decorative ones; for instance crochet bags, berrets, mobile phone pouches (they were very popular among the young members of my husband's side of the family and they ordered a few from me for their phones and cameras).
    Hope that helped.
    FairyNatB

4. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did a couple of craft fairs several years ago, but I didn't have much luck. At the show I went to, people seemed to think bigger was better, and at that time I was doing very tiny things. I guess every area is different!

Post Thanks / Like
    @fairynatb

I've been hearing from the craft community that practical items are selling better, at least among US buyers since the economy tanked. I've always liked practical items over art or knick-knacks myself. Let it be pretty AND functional

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done it, but only at a local school's Christmas shopping evening. I found that it was the small items which sold the best. I had a couple of quilts which were around $60 and although lots of people admired them, nobody bought. I sold far more tie dyed tshirts at $7 each and lots of cards which I was selling at around 4 for $5. I know quite a lot of people who do craft fairs regularly and they always try to have something to suit every budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

It is true that each fair or craft show will be different. I seem to think that baby items would do really well in our area. Metropolitan areas may get better response to a variety of things.

I, also, like the idea of working while at your booth. This creates interest in what you are doing.

Has anyone done a booth at a church fair? What about a fundraiser?

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent a summer doing craft fairs with a variety of items but there was nothing about my wares that was outstanding or different. I heard a lot of people walk and saying, ‘I could make that." In all fairness, I've done the same. I think a lot of people go to craft fairs to get ideas for their own crafting. My suggestion would be to do it if you have come up with an idea for something unique that hasn't been done a thousand times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the craft fairs that I've done I've attended as a buyer at least once before taking part as a vendor just to get the 'feel' of the show. I will talk to other vendors at that time to see what they think of the show and the promoter.

As a vendor I'm required to have a state business license and a State sales tax license before I can even set up my booth. At some of the smaller shows the promoter looks after the permits but its something that you need to be aware of.

What sells at the shows? That depends on the time of year and who the audience is. In the fall as the temperatures drop to between 70F & 80F during the day, the lightweight scarfs start to sell. My shawls sell year round as do my jackets.

Hats that are blended yarns are always a good bet as well.

I don't sell baby things but a friend of mine does very well with hers.
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a way to know what is the best sellers on Etsy?