Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Types of yarn for different projects?

What's the best yarn to use for certain projects?

For instance, if I want to make table placemats and a tablecloth, what would I use? What about throws or blankets?

I've often wondered about that and was wondering what you guys use.

Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends! For tablecloth and place mats, I'd probably use some kind of linen, so it has a bit of a weight but is still washable. For blankets and throws, I usually use wool or cotton, or a blend of both. The wool is warm and great for winter, whereas the cotton can be used more year-round as it breathes a bit better. The cotton is also more washable.

3. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for responding! I'll check into those different types of yarn/materials so I can start getting some projects going.

Post Thanks / Like
    You also have to consider what texture you want the finished project to be. The smaller the thread, the more delicate the finished project will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    And it depends on the pattern. I have made the tablecloths and bed spreads using the thin crochet cotton. It comes in a variety of colors now instead of just white. You can use it for doilies, snowflakes and other ornaments. It has a very delicate, lacey look when the project is completed. Baby weight yarn for baby things naturally. Sports weigh I like for cardigans and pullovers. I have made a couple of blankets out of really thick yarn but I don't recall if it had a name. It was wonderfully warm but also heavy and cumbersome to work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I made a blanket out of a chenille/yarn. It had a very rough apearance but was sooo soft. I really liked it, but it was a little more expensive.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Drice!
    I use cotton yarns for place mats, coasters and tablecloths. For blankets I use wool; I like the baby type one cause it's so soft.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all! You know, I wasn't very conscious of the different types of yarns before. I thought as long as it's acrylic yarn, which I usually use for my projects, it will all look the same when crocheted or combined together. However, when I did one placemat just recently, I tried to combine my scrap yarns to achieve a colorful effect on my final output, but guess what? I was not able to create a good placemat because they were of varied thicknesses, and what happened was it became slightly smaller in the middle, where I put the thinner yarns, and thicker at the outer sides, where I put the thicker yarns. I was disappointed with what happened to my project but still it was a good learning experience since it made me more aware of different types of yarns and to be more conscious of them next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. I'm currently doing three different projects and they all have very different yarn. That's what got me thinking about it.