Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning Your Own Yarn

Hi everyone,
    Is anyone here a spinner, or interested?
    I'm FINALLY starting to learn. I have an angora rabbit (and all of her babies that I hadn't realized she was coming with!!) and i am eager to hear about other peoples experiences. I also have access to all the sheeps wool I can use!!
    I look forward to hearing from you - any experience level - even no experience, just interest!

CarolMarieG
    Last edited by CarolMarie; 09-28-2011 at 07:36 PM.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi CarolMarie,
    I would have no idea how and where to start even if I usually am eager to learn new things...what do you need basically to get started? I know I could go on the internet to research it but hearing the personal experience of someone who is just beginning is not the same.
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That would be so cool! I'm even interested in hearing about raising the rabbits, lol! But I have no idea. Interest, yes, so let me hear how you do it. I assume you must have a spinning wheel? You would then need to dye it? I dunno, but like fairynatb said, I'm sure there are plent of resources on the internet---just don't have either the tools or the access to sheep or angora rabbits myself. I guess I could try spinning cotton--being in the southern states of the US I have plenty of access to that!

Again, interesting! Let us know how that turns out!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is something I have also wanted to learn, but haven't got around to yet. I bought a drop spindle a couple of years ago, but it is still sitting in its package. I'm curious, were you able to find out how to do this online?

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I like to try new things, I think I will keep my distance from the spinning wheel...I just don't have the patience, well kind of. All the patience I possess in me is already fully distributed to my dog, my husband and my daughter not to mention to all the other crafts I already do. God only knows how I even manage to crochet, lol, since everyone who knows me and knows how I am short of patience find it surprising that I can do it for hours at end and not feel compelled to get up and go do something more 'active'!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    Whenever you people say "spinning wheel", the picture that my mind conjures is a picture straight out of a Sleeping Beauty cartoons. LOL. I have no idea how to do this and I respect anyone who can! Would recycling old clothes and making the fabric/thread into something you can reuse for crocheting can be considered "spinning"? No I don't know how to do that but I would love to learn how if anyone knows how to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been spinning for a couple years now. I have been working from raw fleeces mainly. I use both drop spindle and my spinning wheel. I have not dyed any of the fleeces. I have blond, brown, dark brown, black, gray and white fleeces. I have spun sheep, alpaca and llama