Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Never too old!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Never too old!

I've finally reached my full retirement age with social security and made my retirement official on February 8th. It is quite an adjustment after 50 years of working. One of my goals is to crochet afghans for my grandchildren and great niece. We are expecting a granddaughter in May and I'm going to start with her and will start that this week.
    The last time piece I finished was a ripple in 2001 during my husbands operation and recovery time from cancer. There was a prayer in every stitch. I want to do an afghan in black, gray and green for my oldest grandson (10). Any suggestions?
    Remember it's been awhile so I'm going with "easy". My problem is knowing how much yarn to buy and which shades best go together. He is tall so I'm aiming for a large one. I do want it to be soft even after many washes. I was so excited to find this site. I'm not into facebook!

2. Likes Anaisa, GrammaJoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Glad you joined us. Hang on someone will offer you some suggestions for you afghan pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    first howdie and welcome; congrats on your retirement. I'm not into facebook either, but a few of us here like it; Second, as for how much yarn to buy, a pattern usually tells you how much to use, but it you are doing it free hand, I would just guess as if I were doing a pattern and go from there. If you are thinking of gray, two tone grays are always nice w/ a light cream white....that's just a thought...happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Granmma Joe

His favorite color is black first and then green = I thought gray would be a good third color. I hadn't thought of two shades of gray with the black. That could look better than the green. I'm not sure a granny pattern would be very masculine. Was thinking more of a ripple but not sure of that either. Thanks for your reply.

6. Likes Anaisa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, Anaisa, I'm brand new and got your handle wrong...

8. Likes Anaisa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always felt the ripple was more masculine as well as a reversible wrap; but that's just me; please show us when done....happy crocheting.

Post Thanks / Like
    The simplest thing I know are granny squares. Patterns are great for people that want to spend sixty dollars at a time for the cheap stuff i just like to get a skein and go, or two, or three skeins. Good luck post the pictures when you get done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there! I make only doileis
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

12. Likes tiredwrists liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a book that moves you along slowly in all these easy to do things so i build skills
    I can do have crochet double crochet shells the usual things granny squares was the last thing i learned how to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a neat book w/ just stitches at a yard sale a while ago and it's great....it has mostly one or two rows and it tells you how to start it for a afghan too...it's called columbia-menerva the art of crochet by pauline chatterton.....happy crocheting.