Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Need Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Need Help!

Every time I make granny square afghans, I always notice that when I'm done the square in the middle is slightly tilted. It's so annoying! I've thought it was because I was stitching too tightly so I'll relax, but it still ends up tilted! Does anyone else have this problem or have advice about what to do??

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a problem with granny squares, although maybe not the one you are referring to. I just never can make them come out the same size so that I can piece them together later, lol. So I tend to do stuff all in a straight line. I, too, think it's the difference in how tight, relaxed I am when I am crochet each square which will vary from time to time when I sit down to do the squares. I have no advice except to be the same every time and I can't seem to be that!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'll just have to keep working at it, or maybe look up how-to videos online on how to make granny squares. I'm obviously doing something wrong and it's so frustrating. I would like to be able sell the afghans that I make, but who would want one with an off-center, tilted square in the middle??? Lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess would be that you are adding stitches. It's very easy to get into the flow of crocheting and without realizing, add an extra group of 3 or 4 stitches. It only takes one time and as you work the rounds. One side will become slightly off kilter because there are more stitched (groupings and spaces) on that side of the square. Try counting your groupings on each side before you turn the corner. That way you can catch the problem, if this is the problem, before you get too far along.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like part of it may be due to the tension (how tight or loose) you are holding your yarn and making the stitches. Also don't fret if your squares are not perfectly the same size- blocking your squares after finishing them can help.

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also always end up with granny squares that do not look exactly the same but I do not mind, I know it has got to do with tension mostly...not that I do not add a few stitches here and there that should not be there! I am too distracted if i try to watch a film at the same time and have to undo stitches and start again...well try being more relaxed and to pay attention to the number of stitches you are making maybe it will help.
    FairyNatB

7. Likes yarnmama liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!

@drice1976 Maybe you're adding a stitch or two to your beginning or ending stitches which makes the edges of the inner square slightly tilted. Try to recount the stitches or make a sketch while you're working just so you will have a guide. This way, you will see what you're doing wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I found that counting the stitches in each row to make sure your doing the same number each time before turning for the next row since I started to count the stitches in each row before continuing helped me and now I don't have a problem with one or two or whatever being off kilt hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Everyone that replied - I am thankful for jumping in to help Drice and others, too. I greatly appreciate it! I really do not have any experience with granny squares as of yet!

I was thinking that I posted some videos on making granny squares, but I will have to check. Other members may have posted some as well.

Glad to see everyone helping each other out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a photo posted anywhere?

Granny squares do have a bit of a tilt, but I don't know if it is what you are noticing, or if there is something else going on altogether.

Here is a link to a massive granny square I am working on, and as you can see, it is a little wonky. (The square is actually much larger now than it was at the time of the photo and the wonkiness is now even more pronounced).

There are a few things you can do to make squares more square, but it would be easier to know what steps you might find helpful it you could point me to a picture.